The Terra Foundation invites applications for research travel grants from doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States. These grants enable scholars to consult resources that are only available within the United States.
The Terra Foundation for American Art is dedicated to fostering exploration, understanding, and enjoyment of the visual arts of the United States for national and international audiences.
Course Level: Grants are available to doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars for short-term research travel.
Study Subject: Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture.
Scholarship Award: Nine to thirteen grants are awarded annually (up to 5 of them are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and Latin America) as follows:
- Up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America;
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) is paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) is paid to the recipient after receipt of the final report.
Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses of the Grantee only (not of family, travel companions, etc). They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.
Scholarship can be taken in USA
Eligibility: The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States.
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year after the announcement of the selection results.
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures.
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of TFAA in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
Nationality: Grants are open for international scholars (except USA).
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted by e-mail to travelgrants-at-terraamericanart.eu.
Application Deadline: Applications are due January 15, 2018. Awards will be announced in April 2018.