The University of Birmingham is offering free online course on Metabolomics: Understanding Metabolism in the 21st Century. The course is aimed at final year undergraduate science students and research scientists who are interested in learning about the application of metabolomics to understand metabolism.
In this four-week course, applicants will discover how metabolomics is revolutionising our understanding of metabolism with this free online course. This course will start on October 2, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Metabolomics: Understanding Metabolism in the 21st Century
Institution: University of Birmingham and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on October 2, 2017
The University of Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century.
Characterized by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact on people‡s lives.
About This Course
Metabolomics is an emerging field that aims to measure the complement of metabolites (the intermediates and products of metabolism) in living organisms. The complement of metabolites in a biological system is known as the metabolome and represents the downstream effect of an organism‡s genome and its interaction with the environment.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Demonstrate an understanding of the biological relevance of metabolites (the small molecular weight intermediates and products of metabolism) and the metabolome
- Assess the challenges involved in studying the metabolome
- Develop an awareness of the analytical techniques and data analysis tools that are applied to study the metabolome
- Evaluate how the interaction of scientists from different disciplines has driven the development of this field
The course is aimed at final year undergraduate science students and research scientists who are interested in learning about the application of metabolomics to understand metabolism. It is not essential to have any previous knowledge of the subject area but a reasonable knowledge and understanding of science would be beneficial.
Professor of Metabolomics in the School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, UK. Also the Director of the NERC Metabolomics facility and MRC-funded Phenome Centre Birmingham.
Warwick Dunn is a university lecturer with a research group focused on studying metabolism in human health, disease and ageing.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).