The American Musicological Society is providing the Alvin H. Johnson AMS 50 Dissertation Fellowships at the North American university.
Study Subject(s): Musicology
Course Level: PhD
Scholarship Provider: American Musicological Society
The award can be taken at the USA
Best offer for candidates
User Review( votes)
- Any student registered in good standing for a doctorate at a North American university who has completed all formal degree requirements except the dissertation at the time of full application is eligible to apply.
- Any submission for a doctoral degree in which the emphasis is on musical support will be eligible.
How to Apply
The Society’s president, with confirmation by the Board of Directors, maintains a fellowship committee of at least fifteen respected musicologists from whom three judges, through a system of rotation and replacement, are chosen by the chair of the committee in any one year. Although the membership of the Fellowship Committee will be made public (and is widely representative of fields of study), the individual judges for the competition in any one year are not identified. The three judges view the applications without indications of name or institution.Applications must be submitted online via the AMS Web site.
You will be requested to upload the following materials:
- A 150-word project description.
- A current dissertation prospectus of twelve to fifteen pages (c. 3000-4000 words). The prospectus should include a detailed rationale of the project (supported by, but not limited to, an assessment of relevant secondary literature), an overview of each chapter, and a clear statement of progress to date, all written in prose.
- A sample chapter (preferably not an introductory chapter reviewing the literature).
You should also arrange for a letter from the registrar or departmental Director of Graduate Studies attesting to ABD (all-but-dissertation) status. Send as an e-mail attachment to [email protected], or via fax to the AMS office (877-679-7648).
Application Deadline: The application will be open in mid-November and closes on December 16, 2019