Looking internship that offers practical work experience?
Students looking for real-world communication and public relations experience are encouraged to apply for the communications internship with the American Public Health Association.
User Review( votes)
APHA’s communications intern will have the opportunity to produce press materials, news articles, blog posts and other materials that support communications efforts for the Association.
Field of Internship: Communication
Course Level: Internship
Internship Provider: American Public Health Association (APHA)
An internship can be taken in the U.S.
To be eligible, applicants must have:
- Experience with media relations, public relations, AP style writing, strategic communications, and social media is a plus, as is prior writing experience and a willingness to learn
Internship Open for International Students: No
Is this paid internship? All APHA internships are unpaid and located in Washington, D.C. Start and end times are negotiable.
APHA’s Communications Department offers one summer internship, as well as combined journalism/communication internships during the fall and spring semesters, to qualified students.
Interns with the Communications interns support ongoing communications efforts by assisting with media relations, marketing, communications strategy, and planning, as well as producing and planning content for APHA’s social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Work also includes communications support for National Public Health Week, APHA’s Annual Meeting and Expo and APHA’s Get Ready campaign, as well as blog writing for PublicHealthNewswire.org.
Interns may have the opportunity to assist The Nation’s Health by writing news stories. All APHA interns also work on the Association’s Get Ready campaign, writing blog posts and working on group projects each semester.
Communications Department has the opportunity to promote the Association’s public health message and support communications activities around advocacy, public health issues, events and more.
Number of awards offered: Numbers not given
- Length of Assignment: 2-3 months
- Opportunities for internships are available year-round and last for a three- to four-month period.
- To assure that the intern maximizes her or his experience, they require that students work a minimum of four days a week.
Notification: Not given
How to Apply:
To apply, you will need to register online.
Applicants who meet the requirements and are interested in being considered for this internship should upload the following information:
- Cover letter, indicating your specific area(s) of interest and expertise, what you hope to gain from an APHA internship, why you would like to intern at APHA and your availability and schedule
- Two writing samples, 1-2 pages each (published or from schoolwork)
- Three references (supply names, email addresses and phone numbers of three individuals who know you well enough to discuss your qualifications, e.g., an employer or professor).
- If you are uploading a pdf document, the document needs to be a file that was created and can be manipulated and converted in order to upload.
Internship Application Deadline: Internship application deadline is open until filled.