This summer Arizona State University is offering an open online course on English Composition. This course is intended for students proficient in English.
Improve your writing skills in this comprehensive introduction to the English composition credit-eligible course. The overall objective of this course is to help in improving students’ writing skills.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 18 hours/week
Subject: English Composition
Institution: Arizona State University
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Starts on August 20, 2019
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access, and impact. Arizona State University and edX, innovative leaders in providing unprecedented access to education, have joined forces to create the Global Freshman Academy, offering a unique, cost-effective way to break down the barriers to quality education.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. edX can empower the applicant to build innovative applications, services, and experiences.
About This Course
Language and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills in the global economy. Writing and composition are vital in communicating the applicant’s ideas clearly.
This introductory writing course will help them develop and express ideas effectively for a variety of purposes, audiences, and occasions.
During the course, the applicant will complete several major written projects, along with a reflection for each project. For each project, they can decide what level of technology they wish to use.
If an applicant wishes to earn university credit for the course, which will count as credit for ASU’s First-Year Composition course, University will ask them to complete a portfolio in which they demonstrate what they have learned. Specifically, the applicant will address what they have learned in the course and provide evidence that they have acquired the skills and knowledge taught during the course.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts. This is verified, earn credit, honor course.
Applicants will learn:
- Rhetorical Knowledge: how to craft your writing to meet the needs of specific audiences for specific purposes.
- Critical Thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing.
- Writing Processes: how to use the invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing.
- Knowledge of Conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions.
- Digital Technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently.
- Habits of Mind: how to benefit from curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection.
- Duane Roen: Professor of English, Arizona State University
- Adam Pacton: Lecturer, Arizona State University
- Jamie Merriman-Pacton: Course Coordinator, Arizona State University
Students must be proficient in English.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant signs up for a course and activate their account, click on the login button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)