The Australian Leadership Awards (ALA) Scholarships are a component of the Australian Leadership Awards, a regional program under the Australian Scholarships initiative. Australian Leadership Awards aim to develop leadership, build partnerships and linkages within the Asia-Pacific.
They are intended for those who are already leaders or have the potential to assume leadership roles that can influence social and economic policy reform and development outcomes, both in their own countries and in the Asia-Pacific region. The ALA program comprises of Scholarships and Fellowships.
Great opportunity for students.
User Review( votes)
- ALA Scholarships are for those who currently hold, has the potential to assume, leadership roles and an influence social and economic policy reform and development outcomes in their own countries and in the region. Applicants must meet all of the following general eligibility requirements.
- Have academic achievement at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Have English language proficiency (subject to university entry requirements and above an IELTS 6.5 or equivalent).
- Provide an unconditional offer of a place at an Australian higher education institution with their ALA Scholarship application.
- Be a citizen of an ALA eligible country (see table below).
- Reside in a country other than Australia.
- Not hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent resident status (unless applying as a citizen of the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau).
- Not married to/or defacto of, or engaged to, a person who holds or is eligible to hold an Australian or New
Zealand citizenship or permanent resident status.
Applications are considered annually on a competitive basis. Selection is based on leadership and academic merit. Australian High Commissions/Embassies consider applications and recommend short-listed candidates to a final regional selection committee in Canberra.
Applications can be submitted either:
1. Online via the ALA Scholarship online application on the Australian Scholarships website www.australianscholarships.gov.au or
2. By mail to the appropriate Australian High Commission/Embassy. Application forms can be downloaded from the Australian Scholarships website or sought from the Australian High Commission/Embassy in each eligible country.
Applications for the 2008 ALA intake have now closed. The 2009 intake will open in April 2008.
An ALA Scholarship can be valued up to A$130,000 for Masters degrees and A$250,000 for Doctorate programmes, with additional value included in the Leadership Development Programme. Benefits include:
• Return air travel
• Contribution towards initial visa expenses
• Establishment allowance
• Full tuition fees
• Contribution to living expenses
• Introductory Academic Programme (IAP)
• Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)