The Austrian Academy of Sciences is proud to offer the Austrian Academy of Sciences Doctoral Fellowship Programme for junior scientists. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
The university provides modern educational and research environments that will enable students and researchers to face current challenges and to focus on knowledge as a principle driving force for development.
a fine program for applicants.
User Review( votes)
The purpose of the fellowship is to enable young, excellent doctoral candidates from all disciplines and to carry out their dissertation project within a definable period of time.
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue Doctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is offered to doctoral candidates from all disciplines to carry out their dissertation project.
- Scholarship Award: Fellowship provides: -DOC fellowships amount to 37,000 euros annually before tax.
- A maximum of 500 euros annually may be requested for travel expenses (project-specific travel and accommodation, etc.).
- A maximum of 1,900 euros annually may be paid for child care.
- Fellowships are paid in yearly instalments either directly to the recipient (“Neue Selbständige”) or to the university/research institution where the recipient is employed.
- Payment will not begin before the actual start of the fellowship.
- Fellowship recipients are permitted to undertake other paid work (e.g. teaching assignment, tutorial), if this activity promotes the achievement of the programme objective – the successful completion of the doctoral thesis – and does not take more than 10 hours per week.
- If the conditions of the fellowship are violated, the recipient is required to reimburse all or part of the fellowship.
- Scholarship can be taken in Austria or abroad
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for this fellowship:-
- Doctoral students from all fields of science are invited to apply who meet the following criteria: applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme at an Austrian university.
- They must meet the requirements for enrolling in a PhD programme at the respective Austrian university.
- They must have received their degree (Diploma/Master) no longer than two years before the year of application.
- Exceptions will be made for applicants who interrupted their scientific work for child care (up to 3 years) or for persons providing proof of military or alternative national service. In these cases, applicants should contact the Office of Awards and Fellowships of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- Applicants who have completed their studies within the prescribed minimum length of study and passed their final examination with distinction are considered favourably in the review process.
- It is possible for fellowship recipients to spend up to 12 months at a research institution abroad.
- It is also possible for fellowship recipients to undertake their doctoral thesis within a cotutelle-de-thèse programme according to an agreement between an Austrian university and a university abroad.
- Applicants, who must be highly qualified, are required to submit a research proposal, a reference letter from their supervisor, and certificates ensuring that required facilities for the research project are available, as well as a short description of the chosen institutions of research.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Documents to be sent by regular mail and by e-mail.
- In addition to the application for the scholarship, the applicant must submit the following documents:-
- Online application form.
- Please fills in the form in German.
After applicants have submitted their application documents, the data are stored in the database of the Office for Fellowships and Awards of the UAW.
- Tabular CV.
- Publication list (when applicable).
- A complete list of their scientific publications including names of all authors, full title, series/journal title, year and page numbers (no abbreviations!)
The list should be ordered inversely chronological as follows:
peer-reviewed journals (incl. accepted and admitted), books, editions, published conference papers, posters.
Please also state which publications result from their Master’s thesis.
- Cover letter (max. 2 pages)
- Description of medium-term career objectives, the desired impact of the fellowship on a scientific career as well as the motivation for the choice of research fields.
- Transcripts of records for Bachelor and Master studies.
- Reference letter of the supervisor of the doctoral thesis (one copy must bear the original signature), and a list of selected publications (max. 1 page) which prove that the supervisor is or has been doing research in relevant fields.
- Short description of the university institute or research institution where the research for the doctoral thesis is performed.
- Confirmation of workspace
- Confirmation by the head of the university institute or the research institution that necessary workspace and infrastructure is provided (one copy must bear the original signature)
- Submission of all necessary clearance and any permits that are required (e.g. Ethics Commission or Commission for Animal Experimentation)
- Entrance Requirements: In order to be eligible applicants must have a maximum 2 years after completion of the Diploma or Master degree (for exceptions see programme information).
Application Deadline: Closed