Abertay University is offering a free online course on Game Design and Development: Video Game Character Design. This course is designed for anyone interested in game design and development, including those who are considering studying it at university and entering the games industry.
By the end, you’ll discover how studying human nature can help you design characters that gamers will recognise and understand.
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 2 hours/week
Subject: Game Design and Development: Video Game Character Design
Institution: Abertay University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Date to be announced
Abertay’s reputation for educational innovation is longstanding and this includes being a global leader in computer games education for over 20 years.
Abertay was the first university in the world to offer a degree in computer games and remains the only university in Europe listed in the Princeton Review’s ‘World’s Top 25 Games Universities’.
About This Course
The course encompasses studies of anatomy, graphic design, narrative and gameplay, to provide you with a broad knowledge and understanding of the field of video game character design.
Why Take This Course?
How and why do video gamers identify with the characters they control? Find out with this introduction to character design.
- Develop an appreciation of how studying human nature can inform how we design characters that audiences will recognize and understand.
- Identify the need to consider human diversity of identity when designing characters that will more accurately represent gamers.
- Assess how fundamental visual, audio, narrative, and game design principles can inform the development of characters.
- Develop skills in prototyping character design concepts.
This course is designed for anyone interested in game design and development, including those who are considering studying it at university and entering the games industry.
It will be particularly suitable for those interested in the field of character design.
Robin Sloan is a Lecturer and Programme Leader for BA (Hons) Game Design and Production Management at Abertay University in Dundee, Scotland.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, the applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).