German students are invited to apply for the MD fellowships funded by the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds. This call is open for the students who are interested in conducting an experimental research project in basic biomedical research in Germany.
The aim of the training is to support up-and-coming junior scientists whose research projects experimentally elucidate the basic phenomena of human life.
Nice opportunity for candidates
User Review( vote)
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is a public foundation – an independent, non-profit organization for the exclusive and direct promotion of basic research in biomedicine. The foundation convinced that great scientific ideas and developments need a stimulating context, freedom and a sound financial fundament.
Why should apply to this program? The program is open to provide students significant work experiences. Through this training, candidates get a broad curriculum of skills development: leadership, community organizing, public speaking, grant writing, media relation.
Application Deadline: Applications may be submitted at any time.
To be eligible, must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds awards to medical students who wish to pursue an experimentally demanding and hypothesis-driven research project in basic biomedical research in a leading laboratory.
- Applicants must study medicine in Germany, put their studies on hold and change their working place (institution and city) for the entire duration of the MD fellowship, i.e. for an uninterrupted period of at least 10 months. Their research stay should take place before the third part of the medical examination (“Dritter Abschnitt der Ärztlichen Prüfung”).
- Applicants are eligible if they gained good or very good marks in the first section of the medical examination (“Erster Abschnitt der Ärztlichen Prüfung”) and during their subsequent studies.
- Applications must be submitted within 8 years after the University entrance qualification or high school-leaving exam (e.g. “Abitur”) and reach the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds at least three months before the planned change of location.
How to Apply
- How to apply: Eligible candidates can apply for the program by submitting all the documents via post to Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds, Schusterstraße 46-48, 55116 Mainz, Germany.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must have to submit all the supporting documents.
- Language Requirement: All applicants must provide evidence that their English language ability meets the minimum requirements for the program.
- MD fellowships are granted for 10–12 months, an extension of up to 6 months is possible.
- The basic monthly stipend amounts to 1000 euros in countries of the European Monetary System.
- In Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the USA, a further 450 euros are added as a country-related premium.
- In most countries, fellows are paid an additional flat-rate of 150 euros per month to cover minor project-related costs (books, travel expenses, etc.), and to cover premiums for personal insurance.
- The stipend is intended to cover the living expenses of the recipient.