The Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) is happy to announce “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) at East China Normal University (ECNU) for the year 2022. These are available for Non-Chinese citizens.
For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms as well as some HSK test centres.
A marvelous opportunity for Non-Chinese Students.
User Review( votes)
Founded in Shanghai in October 1951, East China Normal University (ECNU) is one of the most prestigious universities in China and is sponsored by the national programs “Project 211” and “Project 985”. With two campuses located in Minhang and Putuo District, and with a total area of over 207 hectares, ECNU has long been reputed as a Garden University for its beautiful campus scenes.
- University: East China Normal University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Bachelor, Masters and PhD
- Awards: Varies
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: Non-Chinese citizens.
- The award can be taken in China
- Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available for Non-Chinese citizens.
- Entrance Requirements: All applicants shall be
- Non-Chinese citizens
- In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally
- Aspired to take future careers on the teaching or international promotion of Chinese language
- Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2021. Applicants currently worked as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45, while undergraduate students shall not exceed the age limit of 25.
- Course Level and Study Subject:
- Program for PhD’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (PhDTCSOL): Commences September 2021 and provides for a maximum of four academic years. Applicants shall be Master degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Language Study, and other related educational majors, and have a minimum score of 200 in HSK Test (Level 6) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants should have worked as Chinese teachers or other related jobs for more than 2 years.
- Grant for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL): Commences September 2021 and provides for a maximum of two academic years. Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who are able to provide notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
- Studentship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL): Commences September 2021 provides for a maximum of four academic years. Applicants must have graduated with a high school diploma, and have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 in HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
- Education Study for One-Academic-Year Study: Commences September 2021, and provides for a maximum of 11 months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
- TCSOL: i. Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 in HSK test (Level 3), while the HSKK test score required. ii. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy: Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK test (intermediate level). iii. Chinese Language Study: Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 in the HSK test (Level 3 ).
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study: Commences either in September 2021 or March 2022, and provides of maximum 5 months. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
- TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy: Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3), while HSKK test score required.
- Scholarship for Four-Week Study: Commences either in July or December of 2021 and provides a four-week. Applicants withholding visas X1 or X2 are not eligible.
- Chinese Language plus Home-stay Experience in a Chinese Family: HSK test scores are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made after consultation with host institutions and submit to Hanban for approval.
- Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes: HSK test scores are required. Organized and applied by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
How to Apply:
1. For an application, please log on to the ECNU online application system and Confucius Institute website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
- Contact Recommending Institutions:
- I. Confucius Institutes and Confucius classrooms which have been in operation for more than six months.
- II. Testing centres for Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK which have the right to recommend Confucius Institute candidates.
- III. Oversea organizers of Chinese Bridge Competition: education and cultural offices (groups) of China’s oversea embassies (consulates), Confucius Institute and relevant educational institutions. For further information, please consult chinesebridge-at-hanban.org.
- Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants (An interview is required for ECNU degree program applicants), and Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post the Admission documents. The copy of the certificate can be print out from the CIS website.
The scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
- a) Tuition is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests. Tuition fee does not cover the textbook expenses and tourist tickets.
- b) Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (usually double rooms). Students hoping to live off-campus should apply to the university and receive the off-campus permission from the university. Then the accommodation allowance for a PhD student is RMB1,000 per month per person and other scholarship students is RMB700 per month per person.
- c) The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person. For PhDTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,500 CNY per person.
- Applications Deadline:
- April 10th (for those commencing in July)
- May 10th (for those commencing in September)
- September 10th (for those commencing in December)
- November 10th (for those commencing in March 2022)