The CSIR National Laser Centre (CSIR NLC) would like to invite applicants for Centre Rental Pool Research Programme. The program is open exclusively for South African applicants. The Rental Pool Program (RPP) grant scheme is only available to researchers employed at South African universities.
The aim of the program is to stimulate and grow laser-based research programs within the South African research environment, with the object to increase capacity in the National System of Innovation and to support the next generation of researchers through supporting laser-based research infrastructure for research applications.
A valuable program for commencing higher studies in South Africa.
User Review( votes)
The National Research Foundation (NRF) was established as an independent government agency, The mandate of the NRF is to promote and support research through funding, human resource development and the provision of the necessary research facilities in order to facilitate the creation of knowledge.
University or Organization: The National Research Foundation
Course Level: Pursue research
Access Mode: Online
Number of Awards: NA
Nationality: South African applicants
The program can be taken in South Africa
Application Deadline: 31 October 2019
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be involved in laser-based research in any field in the natural sciences, engineering, and health sciences;
- The program is awarded in laser-related research in all research fields in the natural, engineering and health sciences fields.
- Hold at least a Masters degree and have a reasonable research track record.
- Participation of postgraduate students (Masters and Ph.D. as key drivers), registered at a recognized South African higher education institution is of paramount importance, as well as the collaborations with other researchers based at the applicant’s institution and other institutions. These should be stated clearly by the researcher in the application. Although student involvement is a priority, the primary motivation for the research grant is to address a specific research question. Proposals that request funding support merely for the training of students will be disqualified.
Nationality: South African applicants are eligible for the program.
Admission Requirement: Applicants must have a master degree.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Applications must be submitted electronically on the NRF Online Submission System.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must ensure that their Curriculum Vitae is updated on the NRF Online Submission System.
The program will cover the following:
- The program allows access to equipment at the CSIR NLC facilities and the rental of equipment for use at the researcher’s university laboratories. The program also makes provision for the upgrading of existing equipment in order to ensure suitability for the proposed project. In summary, the grant funds the following activities:
- Preparation and upgrade of equipment approved the program;
- Maintenance of equipment supported by the RPP;
- Delivery, setup and return cost of equipment where necessary;
- Technical or scientific support from the CSIR NLC staff;
- Insurance costs for equipment while at the HEI;
- Travel and accommodation costs limited to travelling to CSIR NLC laboratories or facilities at HEIs where CSIR RPP equipment is hosted to access equipment in approved research projects;
- Accommodation and travel support for the attendance of the annual RPP Review Meeting.
- Grant holders and their students who are involved in the supported project are required to attend this compulsory reporting session;
- New equipment required to support research activities;
- Consumables required for research activities, limited to optics and materials to support the research project proposed.
- Each project will be eligible for new ancillary equipment (smaller diagnostic equipment) to a maximum value of R75 000 and laser-related consumables to a maximum value of R75 000, subject to the availability of funding. Consumables will remain the property of the grant holder’s institution and will assist in establishing in-house laser infrastructure.
- All of the above-mentioned costs will contribute to forming the budget of each grant holder based on the equipment they request for their laboratories.