The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is delighted to offer the International Scholarships for Doctoral Program. PhD students living abroad during their doctoral studies.
The DAAD provides scholarships for individuals aiming for a doctorate at a German university, including those from non-German countries. The stay abroad can last between one and twelve months. The funding period can be divided in time and can also take place in different countries.
Nice offer for international students
User Review( votes)
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) was founded in 1925 to support academic exchanges between Germany and other countries. The DAAD is one of the world’s largest funding organizations of students and researchers, supporting academic collaborations and providing scholarships to students and scholars from around the world.
Why should apply to this program? By joining this program, students will get an excellent opportunity to increase their knowledge, gain international research experience and broaden their horizons.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2023
- University or Organization: German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Up to 102 Euros
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Germany
- Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available to students from all around the world.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded by a German university in the following disciplines leading to a doctoral degree.
- Linguistics and cultural studies
- Law, economics and social Sciences
- Human medicine
- Veterinary Medicine/Agriculture, Forestry and Nutritional Sciences
- Art, music and physical education.
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the given criteria:
- Must be accepted as a doctoral student or have a dissertation topic assigned.
- Must not have started doctoral studies more than three years before the application deadline, unless with special reasons.
- Selection based on academic achievements and duration of study, scientific achievements after graduation, quality of the research project, the reason for the stay abroad and the choice of the host university, feasibility and consistency of the work plan and schedule, the potential of the applicant, and equal opportunities.
- Equal opportunities criteria take into account any special circumstances that the applicant can provide information on in the application form.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Interested candidates must be registered as a PhD degree student in a recognized university or institute. After admission, seekers can apply for this scholarship.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must provide the following supporting documents:
- Online application form
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages) with extracurricular criteria/extracurricular commitment
- Detailed description of the doctoral project (5-8 pages) with research and processing status, justification of the necessity of the stay abroad, and its importance for academic, professional, and personal development
- Schedule for the stay abroad in tabular form with monthly and, if necessary, weekly details of work steps
- All university certificates with individual grades
- Certificate of formal acceptance and supervision as a doctoral candidate or confirmation on the DAAD form
- Confirmation from the foreign host university or host institute for job and supervision or research permit
- Summary of most recent thesis (approx. 1 page)
- Publication list of self-published publications, if available
- Proof of language proficiency (possibly several proofs if there are several target countries)
- Current report from the supervisor of the doctoral thesis
- All documents must be submitted in German or English.
- Admission Requirements: The students are required to present the admission requirements:
- Must be accepted as a doctoral student at a German university by the application deadline.
- Must provide documents on academic and scientific qualifications.
- Research projects must be of high quality, original, relevant, and feasible.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must fulfill the following language requirements:
- Proof of language proficiency is required if the field research/interviews are conducted in a language that differs from the working language at the host institute.
- Language certificates should not be older than 2 years.
- Either the DAAD language certificate form or another language certificate recognized by the DAAD can be submitted.
- The language skills assessment can be done at the German university by contacting the language center or an authorized examiner in the department for the foreign language in question.
- Proof of language proficiency can only be waived in exceptional cases.
- Instructions for authorized examiners and language centers to fill out the form can be found on the DAAD website.
The scholarship includes a monthly stipend, travel allowance, health insurance, and a flat rate for research and congress costs of up to 102 euros. Additional benefits may include a tuition grant, language course subsidy, family benefits, and a subsidy for related trips. Additional subsidies are available for disabilities or chronic illnesses.