Up to 6 PhD fellowships are awarded for Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED program. Students of any nationalities are eligible for these PhD fellowships.
The program provides in-depth training in the development and implementation of new state-of-the-art computational techniques for the modelling and solution of cutting-edge engineering problems in the industry.
User Review( votes)
SEED program aims to meet industry current needs, where early product prototyping and development is now entirely carried out through numerical modelling, prior to physical experimentation of a few selected designs.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing PhD studies at eight universities participating in the EMJD-SEED program (ECN: Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France, GeM Institute., IST: Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal, Civil Eng., Mech. Eng. & Math, Deps, UNIPV: University of Pavia, CESNA-Compmech, Italy, SU: Swansea University, United Kingdom, C2EC, TU/e: Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, Mech. Mat, TUM: Technical University of Munich, Germany, LNM lab, ULB: Free University of Brussels, Belgium, BATir-SMC, UPC: Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain – LaCàN). Each SEED PhD student will visit a Primary Institution (PI) and a Secondary Institution (SI). The SEED program is structured in the following 3 phases: Phase I at PI, 1 year; Phase II at SI, 1 year and Phase III at PI, 1-2 years.
Study Subject: The Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED provides in-depth training in the development and implementation of new state-of-the-art computational techniques for the modelling and solution of cutting-edge engineering problems in the industry. The complexities of such models require new computational approaches, which are the main focus of SEED research activities. As a result, SEED candidates aim to cover important areas in engineering which include:
- Biomedical engineering: vascular system, respiratory system, tissue engineering.
- Civil engineering: soil stability, foundations, earthquake engineering, durability.
- Aerospace engineering: composite materials, turbulence analysis, aerodynamics.
- Environmental engineering: noise analysis, pollution analysis, risk management.
Scholarship Award: Monthly allowances in the form of employment contracts will be provided to all successful EMJD-SEED candidates during 3-4 years depending on each individual doctoral plan. This applies to both category A and B students.
The basis of these contracts is that all students selected for the EMJD-SEED programme should thus be able to participate full-time, independently of the personal financial situation.
The financial conditions are:
- Fixed contribution to the travel, installation and any other types of cost: 7500 € for category A students.
- A monthly gross salary of 2800 € (before deduction of any taxes or contributions) that corresponds to a net salary of around 1400-1500 € (to be fixed in the doctoral candidate agreement depending on national legislation).
- Participation costs (tuition fees, supervision fees) and insurance are included in the fellowship. In addition, contribution to e.g. travel to the yearly workshop is provided for up to a certain limit.
Scholarship can be taken in France, Portugal, Italy, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and Spain
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
There are fellowships opportunities for students accepted on the Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate SEED. Grantees will be given contract for the full extension of their PhD’s studies (3-4 years). Fellowships will be distributed in 2 categories according to the applicant nationality and previous international experience:
- Category A candidates who come from a country other than a European country (note 1) and who are not residents nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years (note 2) in one of these countries. The only exception to this rule applies to third-country doctoral candidates who have previously received an Erasmus Mundus masters scholarship in order to follow an EMMC (* European country: a member state of the EU plus Turkey , the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).
- Category B candidates that do not fulfil the Category A criteria.
Students with a double nationality that fulfil Category A and B must choose one category.
Students not specifically selected for EMJD-SEED fellowships might still be able to participate and follow the programme as well but on an individual basis. These students need to pay all the fees and participation costs requested by the respective universities.
Note 1: European Country: A Member State of the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
Note 2: The five-year reference period for this 12-month rule is calculated backwards as from the submission deadline for Category A applications by the consortium (all participating universities and associated industry partners) to the Agency (i.e. end of next February).
Nationality: Students of nationalities are eligible for these PhD fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: All admitted PhD students will have to satisfy the following minimum requirements: Degree equivalent to a Masters in Engineering or in Applied Mathematics, Physics or a similar science-based subject, equivalent to at least 300 ECTS *.
English language Requirements: Non-native English speaking candidates will be required a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 (in both the written and oral)
* 1 ECTS = 25-30 hours of work, 60 ECTS =1 year of studies.
How to Apply: Registration and application to the doctorate fellowship must be completed through the following steps:
- Register to the virtual centre, and attach the following required documentation:
a) Degree classification and diploma supplement or academic transcript
b) Two letters of recommendation (optional)
c) A complete Curriculum Vitae (CV)
d) IELTS or similar internationally recognised English language proficiency score.
- Fill and submit the online application form
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is January 5, 2017.