University of Texas Medical Branch is offering free online course on Biostatistics for Big Data Applications. This course provides a broad foundation of statistical terms and concepts as well as an introduction to the R statistical software package.
In this eight-week course, applicants will learn data analysis basics for working with biomedical big data with practical hands-on examples using R.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: University of Texas Medical Branch and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) was the state‡s first academic medical center and has been at the forefront of educational, research, and clinical excellence since its founding in 1891. Today, UTMB has campuses in Galveston, League City, and Angleton and is one of the largest, fastest growing academic health centers in the U.S. with more than 3,200 students and 900 faculty.
About This Course
This course provides a broad foundation of statistical terms and concepts as well as an introduction to the R statistical software package. The topics covered are fundamental components of biostatistical methods used in both omics and population health research.
Why Take This Course?
Working with biomedical big data presents many challenges; familiarity with common statistical terms and definitions, and understanding basic statistical theory will help you overcome those challenges.
- Basic R Programming
- How to create and interpret graphical summaries of data
- Basic inferential statistics including parametric and nonparametric methods
Heidi is an associate professor in the Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health at UTMB. She is also a senior statistician within the Office of Biostatistics.
James is an associate professor & director of the Rehabilitation Sciences PhD program at UTMB.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)