The Open University is offering free online course on Bookkeeping for personal and business accounting. This course is for anyone wanting an introduction to bookkeeping and financial accounting.
In this four week course, applicants will learn how to balance your books and develop the skills to manage finances in personal and business environments. The course will start on .
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Institution: Open University (OU) and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission is to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
About This Course
Discover how money flows in personal and business environments and develop the basic skills to manage your finances with this course introducing you to bookkeeping and accounting.
You‡ll master common terms, basic maths and gain the ability to put your knowledge into practice. Before you know it you‡ll be able to perfectly balance your books and understand how concepts of profit and loss lead to revenue or debt.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Describe and define bookkeeping and accounting
- Explain the general purposes and functions of accounting
- Explain the differences between management and financial accounting
- Describe the main elements of financial accounting information – assets, liabilities, revenue and expenses
- Identify the main financial statements and their purposes.
- Apply the essential numerical skills required for bookkeeping and accounting
- Explain the relationship between the accounting equation and double-entry bookkeeping
- Record transactions in the appropriate ledger accounts using the double-entry bookkeeping system
- Balance off ledger accounts at the end of an accounting period
- Produce a trial balance, balance sheet and a profit and loss account.
This course is for anyone wanting an introduction to bookkeeping and financial accounting. It might be of particular interest to small business owners, people who are self employed or those wanting to better manage their own finance. You don‡t need any previous experience.
He is Senior Lecturer in Finance at the Open University Business School. I teach and research in accounting, finance and corporate governance.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).