The University of Queensland is offering a free online course on Climate Science and Policy. This course will help you to understand the size of the problem and policy options that could start to make a difference.
In this ten week course, applicants will understand climate science and the role of policy for transitioning to a low carbon energy supply. This course is Self-Paced.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 10 hours pw
Institution: The University of Queensland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $199
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer, and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings.
About This Course
Climate change has been identified as one of the world’s most wicked problems. However, most governments have been slow to respond to the challenge of climate mitigation and adaptation. This course will help you to understand the size of the problem and policy options that could start to make a difference.
Why Take This Course?
Students will be presented with the evidence as to why climate change is a growing problem for our society. Starting with early data produced from ice cores millions of years ago through to the latest thinking on the action required to address the problem, this course will equip you to identify key strategies for your organization or government to implement a mitigation agenda.
- The history and basics of the climate system
- How we as humans are impacting the climate system
- The future scenarios of climate change and likely risks and impacts
- The general approaches and limits to adaptation
- Policies required to help address the problem
- Skills and knowledge of scenario planning
Professor Andrew Garnett
Andrew is the Director of the Centre for Coal Seam Gas at The University of Queensland.
Professor Will Steffen
Will is a climate change expert and researcher at The Australian National University, Canberra.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)