The University of British Columbia is offering free online course on Family Business – Strategy Essentials. This course is designed for anyone whose work intersects a family business – whether you are an entrepreneur, an owner, an employee, a family member or an advisory to family business.
In this six-week course, applicants will learn how to manage the complex dynamics of a family business and sustain your enterprise into future generations.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: University of British Columbia and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo.
About This Course
This business and management course will introduce you to the unique skills and knowledge needed to manage and sustain healthy family enterprises. Core topics include strategy, leadership, conflict resolution, entrepreneurship and communication.
Why Take This Course?
Family businesses are the most common type of enterprise in the world and perhaps the most complex.
- How to leverage family dynamics in order to improve business performance
- The power to enhance relationships among family, business owners and staff
- To create a framework of agreements and protocols to drive business success
- To implement a successful business strategy through shared family values and vision
- How to set up the next generation for successful leadership of the family enterprise
David C. Bentall
David co-founded the Business Families Centre at UBC‡s Sauder School of Business where he served as Founding Chair from 2001-2006 and serves as an Adjunct Professor teaching in Executive Education, undergraduate and MBA programs.
Wendy brings 25+ years of experience working with business leaders, family firms, and boards as a Consultant at the Family Business Consulting Group.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)