The University of Texas at Austin is offering free online course on Foundations of Data Analysis – Part 1: Statistics Using R. Students will learn the correct statistical tool to help answer our question of interest – using R and hands-on Labs.
In this six-week course, applicants will use R to learn fundamental statistical topics such as descriptive statistics and modeling. This course will start on June 1, 2017
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-6 hours pw
Institution: University of Texas at Austin and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on June 1, 2017
The University of Texas at Austin is the top-ranked public university in a nearly 1,000-mile radius, and is ranked in the top 25 universities in the world.
About This Course
This course will consist of:
- Instructional videos for statistical concepts broken down into manageable topics
- Guided questions to help your understanding of the topic
- Weekly tutorial videos for using R Scaffolded learning with Pre-Labs (using R), followed by Labs where we will answer specific questions using real-world datasets
- Weekly wrap-up questions challenging both topic and application knowledge
Why Take This Course?
We will cover basic Descriptive Statistics – learning about visualizing and summarizing data, followed by a “Modeling” investigation where we‡ll learn about linear, exponential, and logistic functions. We will learn how to interpret and use those functions with basic Pre-Calculus. These two “units” will set the learner up nicely for the second part of the course: Inferential Statistics with a multiple regression cap.
- Descriptive Statistics
- How to visualize data
- Data structure and how to examine it
- Basic R programming (guided through tutorials)
- Simple modeling of linear, exponential, and logistic growth
Michael J. Mahometa
Michael received his Ph.D. in Psychology from The University of Texas at Austin in 2006. His major course work was completed in Behavioral Neuroscience, with a minor in Statistics. It was during that time he realized he have a love of answering questions using the statistical techniques he was learning. He also realized that he very much enjoyed teaching.
- Basic math – arithmetic and algebra
- Students should be comfortable solving math problems such as: 25 = 15 + 2x
- Comfort with a computer and comfort using a novel computer software
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghomepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)