The UMUC, University System of Maryland is offering free online course on Instructional Design Data Mining. In this education and teacher training course, part of the Instructional Design and Technology Micro Masters program we will delve into data driven decision-making.
In this eight week course, applicants will learn data mining techniques to assess the impact of design and technology on learning and create a continuous improvement process to enhance online courses. This course will start on January 15, 2018.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 4-6hours pw
Subject: Education & Teacher Training
Institution: University System of Maryland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $199
Session: Course Starts on January 15, 2018
University System of Maryland
The USM consists of three Research Universities, three Historically Black Institutions, four Traditional Comprehensive Institutions, two Regional Education Centers; one Specialized Research institution, and one “Virtual” Institution specializing in online and distance education, and a system office.
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) specializes in educating busy professionals like you. We are a public state university offering career-relevant, affordable education that fits your life. You can earn most degrees and certificates entirely online.
About This Course
In this education and teacher training course, part of the Instructional Design and Technology Micro Masters program we will delve into data driven decision-making and you will learn data mining techniques to collect actionable data. You will learn how to analyze learner statistics to improve the impact of design and technology on learning.
Why Take This Course?
It’s important for instructional designers to have systematic plans for gathering data and learner analysis to guide ongoing course adjustments to improve teaching and learning. Data is critical to the continuous improvement process.
- Data mining techniques
- How to apply learning analytics to improve teaching and learning
- Basic principles of statistics
- Emerging trends of adaptive and predictive learning models
Randy is a collegiate professor and program chair at the University of Maryland University College where he leads two master’s programs; the MS in Learning Design & Technology is developing the next generation of Learning Designers to create personalized online learning experiences, and the MEd in Instructional Technology – an International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Nationally Recognized Instructional Technology program.
Eli Collins-Brown is an instructional developer, designer, technologist, instructor and leader.
Basic experience in word processing and G Suite. A background in teaching, education, or professional development would be helpful but not required.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)