Massachusetts Institute of Technology is offering free online course on Magnetic Materials and Devices. In this engineering course, students will learn about magnetic materials and devices.
Applications presented include magnetic data storage, motors, transformers, and spintronics. This course will start on August 16, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 8-12 hours pw
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on August 16, 2017
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century.
About This Course
In this engineering course, you will learn about magnetic materials and devices. Applications presented include magnetic data storage, motors, transformers, and spintronics.
Why Take This Course?
This course is part of a three-part series, which explains the basis of electrical, optical, and magnetic properties of materials including semiconductors, metals, organics, and insulators.
- Fundamentals of magnetism
- The role anisotropy plays in the magnetic behavior of materials
- The operating principles of transformers and DC motors
- How data is stored on hard disks
- Principles of optical and magnetooptical storage
Caroline Ross is Toyota Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Physics, calculus, and chemistry at the first year university level
- Familiarity with materials structure and bonding
- A background in solid state physics is helpful, but is not absolutely essential
- 15.1x: Electronic Materials and Devices
- 15.2x: Optical Materials and Devices
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)