The Open University and CMI are offering a free online course on Management and Leadership: Growing as a Manager. The course is designed for new or aspiring managers or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications.
Over four weeks, applicants will explore the foundations of successful management with this free online course from the Open University and CMI. The course will start on 10 June 2019.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Management and Leadership
Institution: Open University and CMI
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on 10 June 2019 and
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning. The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. All Open University Science courses presented on FutureLearn are produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
About This Course
This free online course will provide an introduction to the foundation skills and knowledge that you need when becoming a manager.
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, who wish to supplement their experience with formal training and begin thinking about their continuing professional development.
Week 1 – What is Management?
- What is management?
- Personal development planning
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 – Management Styles
- An introduction to management styles
- Classic management style theories
- The importance of management styles – trust in the workplace
Week 3 – Decision Making and Data
- An introduction to decision making
- A possible approach to decision making
- The importance of data and information
- Decision information
Week 4 – Stakeholders
- An introduction to stakeholders
- Categorising stakeholders
- Understanding stakeholders and meeting their needs
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can pursue a verified certificate. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts. After completing this course students will learn to explore the science behind what you eat with this free online course.
Over four weeks, the course will enable you to:
- Define the concepts of management and leadership;
- Evaluate different management and learning styles;
- Recognise the need for and importance of data as evidence in good decision making;
- Define the term “stakeholders” and explain why they’re important;
- And begin the on-going process of personal development planning.
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award.
Angela Lilley: She works for the OU Business School as Open Media Fellow. I am carrying out Doctoral research in Business Skills online. I am also an Associate Lecturer and I have an MBA and Masters in Online Learning.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, the applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, the student will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).