The Wageningen University is offering free online course on Nutrition and Health: Human Microbiome. This course is intended for healthcare professionals, but anyone with an interest in the human microbiome is welcome to join.
In this six week course, applicants will learn how you can impact your health by balancing your gut health; how your microbiome together with your diet can improve normal gut function. This course will start on January 23, 2018.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Health & Safety
Institution: Wageningen University & Research and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 23, 2018
Wageningen University and Research centre is dedicated to exploring the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. Learn more about WUR. WageningenX courses train (future) professionals in sustainable food systems and help consumers making informed choices about what they eat, how it is produced and the impact of their choices on the environment and society.
About This Course
Your body is not only made up of human cells, but also by trillions of bacteria, fungi and viruses. Together they make up the human microbiome and have a tremendous impact on your health. For example, what you eat and drink impacts the micro biome.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, you will learn how the human microbiome plays an important role in maintaining normal gut function, digesting certain nutrients, early life development, behavior and, disorders like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), obesity and diabetes. You will learn how to distinguish fact from fiction about the role of the microbiome in health and disease.
In this course you’ll learn that the human microbiome plays an important role in maintaining normal gut function, digesting certain nutrients, early life development, behavior and, disorders like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), obesity and diabetes. Discover the complexity in maintaining a balanced healthy life and learn:
- How to study the microbiome.
- How microbiota impact your health.
- Healthy ageing and micro biota.
- The relation between diet, genes and microbiota.
- Microbial therapies and diagnostics.
- How academic knowledge about the microbiome is important for policy makers, medical doctors, non-profit organizations and industry.
The micro biome is an important factor in health maintenance throughout life. My research is focused on intestinal microbes that are specialized in the degradation of the host produced glycan rich proteins; Mucus & Milk.
This course is intended for healthcare professionals, but anyone with an interest in the human micro biome is welcome to join. Some knowledge on microbiology is recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)