The Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is offering a free online course on Operations Management. The course will empower you with skills to address important aspects of business operations including capacity, productivity, quality, and supply chain.
In this six week course, applicants will understand key aspects of business operations and lean management including capacity, productivity, quality, and supply chain.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 2–4 hours per week
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $10,664
University is known for excellence in both teaching and research, and our alumni are leaders in business, government and civil society across the globe. We collaborate with over a hundred leading management schools in several countries on research initiatives and student and faculty exchange programs.
About This Course
Have you ever wondered about the right methods to improve productivity, configure your supply chain or address the demand on hand?
In recent years, businesses have strived to improve productivity and quality, reduce costs and delivery times, and embrace flexibility and innovation. These strategies are part of the Operations Management (OM) activities that service and manufacturing organizations engage in.
Why Take This Course?
Students will understand how operations in an organization are configured and factors that can potentially drive the complexity of managing such operations. We will also introduce concepts like estimating capacity, identifying bottlenecks, and de-bottlenecking.
- Identify an operations system with some known standard configurations.
- Make an assessment of the complexity of an operations system.
- Compute cycle times for operations and estimate capacity of the system.
- Understand the various components of a supply chain and the need to configure them appropriately.
- Identify methods for reducing the bullwhip effect in supply chains.
- Understand and relate the concept of Lean Management to one’s own business situation.
- Initiate process & productivity improvement using NVA Analysis.
- Use specific tools and techniques to analyze quality problems.
- Monitor a process using control charts.
- Mahadevan is a Professor of Operations Management at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, where he has been teaching since 1992. He received his Ph.D. from IIT Madras.
Basic concepts in statistics such as Mean and Standard Deviation.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)