Harvard University is offering a free online course on Python Programming. This course bridges the gap between introductory and advanced courses in Python.
In this four-week course, applicants will take introductory knowledge of Python programming to the next level and learn how to use Python 3 for research.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 4-8 hours per week
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Harvard University and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
About This Course
This course bridges the gap between introductory and advanced courses in Python. While there are many excellent introductory Python courses available, most typically do not go deep enough for you to apply your Python skills to research projects. In this course, after first reviewing the basics of Python 3, we learn about tools commonly used in research settings.
Using a combination of a guided introduction and more independent in-depth exploration, you will get to practice your new Python skills with various case studies chosen for their scientific breadth and their coverage of different Python features.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the course.
- Python 3 programming basics (a review)
- Python tools (e.g., NumPy and SciPy modules) for research applications
- How to apply Python research tools in practical settings
Week 1: Python Basics
Week 2: Python Research Tools
Weeks 3 & 4: Case Studies
Jukka-Pekka “JP” Onnela
JP is an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Biostatistics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Some previous Python programming experience (in any version of Python)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honour code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghome page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)