Massachusetts Institute of Technology is offering free online course on Structural Materials: Selection and Economics. This course benefits aspiring engineers and students with no previous experience as well as the seasoned professional.
This engineering course will introduce you to the key principles of structural materials selection through a practical curriculum rooted in the real world.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $5
Session: To Be Announced
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century.
About This Course
From skyscrapers to transportation infrastructure, structural materials dominate the human landscape. Learning the principles that govern their selection is essential for any aspiring or practicing engineer.
Why Take This Course?
The principles taught are general enough to be applied across many domains. Key points are emphasized with interesting examples and anecdotes from industry and academia.
- Externalizes Of Materials Selection
- Material Price, Cost and Abundance
- Properties, Limits and Ratio Analysis of Structural Materials
- How structured materials are manufactured and processed
Thomas Eagar is Professor of Materials Engineering and Engineering Systems in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at M.I.T, where he has been on the faculty for over 30 years.
Secondary school (high school); basic mathematics.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)