The Rochester Institute of Technology is offering a free online course on Video Game Design History. Video games as a medium go back more than 50 years to mainframe computers. Even the central design of video games can be traced back to the first games themselves.
In this five-week course, applicants will learn about the evolution of video games from experts at The Strong National Museum of Play, the world’s largest collection of video game materials.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3 hours PW
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Rochester Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Rochester Institute of Technology is home to leading creators, entrepreneurs, innovators and researchers. Founded in 1829, RIT enrolls more than 18,600 students in more than 200 career-oriented and professional programs, making it among the largest private universities in the U.S.
About This Course
We’ve partnered with The Strong National Museum of Play to give you a unique look into the history of all things video game. The International Center for the History of Electronic Games at The Strong is the largest and most comprehensive public assemblage of video games and related materials in the world.
Why Take This Course?
Video games as a medium go back more than 50 years to mainframe computers. Even the central design of video games can be traced back to the first games themselves.
To be a good game designer, it’s essential to have an understanding of the video game design industry’s fascinating history.
- Where the first video games came from
- How video games connect to pinball
- Why the industry crashed in the 80’s
- When Virtual Reality (VR) first appeared in the industry
- How the games of the past chart a path to the future of gaming
Dr. Jon-Paul Dyson is the Director of the International Center for the History of Electronic Games (ICHEG) and Vice President for Exhibits at The Strong National Museum of Play.
Stephen Jacobs is a Professor in the School of Interactive Games and Media at Rochester Institute of Technology where he teaches courses in Game Design and Development.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Login button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)