Applications are invited for Fulbright New Zealand General Graduate Awards. These awards are available to applicants who plan to undertake full-time postgraduate study or research at a US institution for a period of at least six months.
Funded by the U.S. Government, the Fulbright Programme aims at achieving mutual understanding through the academic and cultural exchange.
User Review( votes)
Fulbright financial aid positions will be awarded to applicants who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership qualities, and a commitment to improving cross-cultural relations through international exchange.
Course Level: Award is available for applicants who plan to undertake full-time postgraduate study or research at a US institution for a period of at least six months
Study Subject: These awards are available for study or research in any field not covered by one of our other, field-specific Fulbright New Zealand graduate awards.
Award: At least six awards valued at up to US$31,000 (plus $4,000 travel funding) are granted each year, towards one year of study or research in the US.
The award can be taken in the USA
Eligibility: To be eligible, student must
- Have completed the equivalent of four years full-time study at tertiary level and obtained a bachelor’s degree by the time you take up your award, but not yet hold a doctoral degree;
- Plan to undertake full-time postgraduate study or research at a US institution for a period of at least six months; and
- Meet the citizenship requirements for this award.
Students are eligible to apply for this award if you:
- Are New Zealand citizen;
- And are not a permanent resident or citizen of the US;
- And are not currently living in the US.
Preference for Fulbright graduate awards is given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright graduate award, or had extensive recent experience in the US (ie. have not studied, taught, researched or worked in the US for a period aggregating more than nine months/one academic year during the past five years).
Candidates may not pursue study or research activities that involve direct clinical patient contact. This can extend to the fields of Medical Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Psychological Counseling or any other field that requires direct clinical patient contact and/or prescribe or administer medication. Candidates with medical degrees may receive awards for advanced academic study, but not for internships or residencies. Awards shall not authorize activity for which a license to practice medicine or nursing is required.
Nationality: New Zealand citizens are eligible to apply for this award.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have completed the equivalent of four years full-time study at tertiary level and obtained a bachelor’s degree by the time you take up your award, but not yet hold a doctoral degree
How to Apply: Applicants must complete and submit an online application by the application deadline;
- Applicants must also submit all required support documents to us by the application deadline;
- Interviews will be held in Wellington. Fulbright New Zealand will pay the costs of travel to Wellington only for applicants residing in New Zealand. Applicants outside New Zealand who are unable to attend an interview in person may be disadvantaged;
- We will advise students of the outcome of their application in early October.
Note that if the application deadline falls on a weekend or public holiday, the deadline is extended to 5:00pm on the next business day.
- Applicants should begin researching US institutions as soon as possible while awaiting the outcome of your application, bearing in mind that the closing date for applications to many institutions will fall in December. They should also plan to sit GMAT or GRE tests as required by the institutions you intend applying to. Ideally, you should sit the tests in time to include results with your applications (note that for paper-based GRE tests this means sitting the tests by October at latest).
- Applicants must complete the official online application for the Foreign Fulbright Program, which requires support documents to be uploaded and the names and email addresses of three references to be registered. They must apply to the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, not the International Fulbright Science and Technology Ph.D. Program.
- Please download and refer to the instructions document within the online application, and refer to it as you complete your application for detailed guidance about what is and isn’t required from individual New Zealand applicants.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is 1 August annually.