Swansea University offers a Ph.D. scholarship in computer science, electrical engineering, or physics. The award amount for this scholarship is £16,062. This scholarship is open to UK candidates only. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree at Swansea University.
Application Deadline: October 26, 2022
User Review( votes)
- Organization: Swansea University
- Department: Science and Engineering
- Course level: PhD
- Award Amount: £16,062
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: UK Candidates
- Subject: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics
- Eligible Countries: UK Candidates
- Eligibility: Students can apply for the undergraduate degree offered at the Swansea University
The automotive sector is driving the uptake of semiconductor devices – the rapidly expanding automotive semiconductor market (worth $35 billion in 2020) is powered by the growth of the Electric, Hybrid, and Autonomous Vehicles sectors. To enable this revolution, defect-free semiconductor device product yields of >90% will be required.
To achieve this, 98% of firms expect to increase efficacy with digital technologies, with AI set to transform the global semiconductor industry over the next decade. This will be done through automated inspection, defect recognition, and step changes in quality control and yield.
Device manufacturing comprises wafer production, photolithography, insulator growth, deposition, etching, and metal deposition. Each process step has variables that can lead to defects. However, with the right digital technologies in place, such as AI, these defects can be avoided, leading to higher yields and a more efficient semiconductor industry overall.
Candidates must normally hold an undergraduate degree at 2.1 level (or Non-UK equivalent defined by Swansea University) in Engineering or similar relevant science discipline.
English Language Requirements: If applicable – IELTS 6.5 Overall (5.5+ each comp.) or Swansea recognized equivalent.
How to Apply
To apply for the role, please complete an online application with the following information:
- Degree certificates and transcripts (if you are currently studying for a degree, screenshots of your grades to date are sufficient)
- A cover letter including a ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ to explain why the position particularly matches your skills and experience and how you choose to develop the project.
- Two references (academic or previous employer) on the headed paper or using the Swansea University reference form. Please note that we cannot accept references received citing private email accounts, e.g., Hotmail. Referees should cite their employment email address for verification of reference.
- Evidence of meeting English Language requirements (if applicable).
- Copy of UK resident visa (if applicable)
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at ([email protected]). We look forward to receiving your application!
- This scholarship covers the full cost of UK tuition fees and an annual stipend of £16,062.
- Additional research expenses will also be available.