Applications are now open for the new scholarships for Ph.D. study in Political Science for the academic year 2019-2020. The Department of Political Science normally admits around five students per year to the Ph.D. program, and typically provides financial support in the form of tuition grants, stipends, teaching and research assistantships, along with support for the postgraduate conference and research travel.
Political Science offers the opportunity for research students to enter our Ph.D. program. This is a creative departure from the traditional Ph.D. offered elsewhere in much of Europe and is designed to produce rigorously trained, widely-read and well-rounded political scientists, able to take their place in the forefront of the profession.
A fine educational program for students
User Review( votes)
The Department of Political Science at Trinity ranks among the very best political science departments in the world according to independent evaluations of its research and teaching (e.g. in the annual QS rankings of political science departments).
- Applications deadline: March 1, 2019
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD program.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Political Science. Applicants are particularly welcome from students who wish to conduct research in areas in which the Department has particular research strengths: –
- Comparative European politics
- European Union politics and policies, incl. the European Court of Justice
- The politics of international law (incl. international human rights and WTO dispute settlement)
- Irish politics
- African politics
- Political institutions
- Legislative politics
- Electoral systems and political parties
- Political psychology
- Politics of climate change
- International conflict and security
- Political theory
- Scholarship Award: The Department of Political Science normally admits six students per year, and typically provides financial support in the form of tuition grants, stipends, teaching and research assistantships, and support for postgraduate conference and research travel.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
- Scholarship can be taken in Ireland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students from all around the world are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
Entrance Requirements: University seeks outstanding and motivated graduates for entry to our doctoral program. Applicants are particularly welcome from students who wish to conduct research in areas in which the Department has particular research strengths: comparative European politics, European Union politics and policies, European Law, Irish politics, public policies, electoral systems, political parties including extreme right parties, public opinion and electoral behaviour, the politics of international law, international organisations, and political theory. The Department also invites applications from students whose research develops innovative quantitative methods, such as the quantitative analysis of political texts, as this is another strong area of research among staff.
Successful applicants must have a good honors degree in political science or a related discipline. The Department of Political Science seeks to recruit a varied mix of students from different disciplinary, cultural and educational backgrounds. We are looking for bright, hard-working students who want to prepare themselves to undertake good quality and interesting research in an area where the department has expertise.
The research interests of staff cover a wide range of subject areas from transitions to democracy through political philosophy to the politics of electoral systems and the Department has gained international renown for its work in all of these areas.
English Language Requirements: All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
- IELTS: Grade 6.5 (No section less than 6.0)
- TOEFL: 90 – internet-based (with a written score of 21)
- University of Cambridge:
- Proficiency Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2)
- Advanced Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) – PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 to be eligible (with no section score below 59)
How to Apply:
If you would like to apply for the Ph.D. program, please apply via the Courses section of the TCD website.