The new MD-PhD Scholarships are now available on offer for applicants from Switzerland. This scholarship is available to promising young physicians who wish to get formal research training in natural sciences, in public health sciences, in clinical research or in biomedical ethics, in addition to their medical education.
The aim of the dual training is to equip MD-PhD graduates to pursue a career combining research and clinics in an academic setting, to become experts in translational medicine and to contribute to evidence-based medicine.
Golden opportunity for applicants
User Review( votes)
The University of Bern is a university in the Swiss capital of Bern and was founded in 1834. It is regulated and financed by the Canton of Bern. It is a comprehensive university offering a broad choice of courses and programs in eight faculties and some 150 institutes
- Applications Deadline: December 15.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue MD-PhD or Ph.D programs.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in human medicine, veterinary medicine, and dentistry.
- Scholarship Award: MD-PhD scholarships are awarded for a minimum of two to a maximum of three years, within a time window of four years starting from the date of matriculation as an MD-PhD or Ph.D. student. This time window may be extended by a maximum of one year in justified cases. The reasons for requesting an extension of the time window must be explained in the application.
- Nationality: This scholarship is available for Swiss nationals.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 9 to 12 scholarships every year will be awarded.
- Scholarship can be taken in Switzerland
- Eligible Countries: Available to applicants from Switzerland.
- Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applicants must have successfully completed their studies in human, veterinary or dental medicine and be admitted as doctoral students in the local MD-PhD program of a Swiss university by the time of the scholarship starts. They must have been residents of Switzerland for at least 2 years by the submission deadline. Complete participation requirements and evaluation criteria are described in the program regulations.
Applicants for a national MD-PhD scholarship must fulfill the following requirements:
- They have successfully completed their studies in human medicine, veterinary medicine, or dentistry at a Swiss university by the time the scholarship starts. Applicants with a foreign medical degree must have been legal residents of Switzerland for a minimum of two years by the submission deadline;
- They have generally obtained their medical degree directly before but no more than three years before the submission deadline;
- They are admitted as doctoral students in the local MD-PhD program of a Medical Faculty at a Swiss university and comply with all the local requirements;
How to Apply: Applications, written in English using the SAMS application form, must be sent to the local MD-PhD commission of the Medical Faculty at which the applicant is or intends to be matriculated as a doctoral student. Contact details of the commissions and information on the local MD-PhD programs can be found here: Local MD-PhD Commissions.