The Government of Hong Kong is offering Scholarships for Prospective English Teachers for the academic year 2017-2018. Each local student will be awarded HK$50,000 per year and each non-local student, HK$80,000 per year.
The aim of the funding for Prospective English Teachers is to attract persons proficient in English to pursue relevant local bachelor degree programmes and/or teacher training programmes, which will qualify them to become English teachers upon graduation.
User Review( votes)
The funding for Prospective English Teachers is set up by the Education Bureau (EDB), the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) as one of a series of measures to enhance the professionalism of English teachers in Hong Kong.
Course Level: Applicants should pursue one of the following programmes in a higher education institution in Hong Kong:
- A full-time Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree programme in English Language; or
- A full-time Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education (BA & BEd) double degree programme in English Language; or
- A full-time Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree programme in English or a relevant subject (such as Linguistics, with English as the main language of study) followed immediately by a full-time/part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programme majoring in English.
Study Subject: The studentships are awarded in the field of teaching.
Award: Each local student will be awarded HK$50,000 per year and each non-local student, HK$80,000 per year.
Numbers of Scholarships: Not known
The award can be taken in Hong Kong
Eligibility: Both local and non-local students may apply for the opportunity for Prospective English Teachers (2017/18) (“the Scholarship”). Application is open to secondary school graduates who
- Have attained Level 5 or above in English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination, or equivalent; and
- Will start pursuing year one study in relevant degree programmes in local higher education institutions in the 2017/18 school year.
Nationality: Both local and non-local students are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have attained Level 5 or above in English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination, or equivalent.
How to Apply: The completed form, together with all supporting documents, should be submitted by post or in person.
- Completed and signed the application form.
- Attached a copy of your Hong Kong Identity (HKID) Card or Passport / Travel Document. ?
- Attached a copy (copies) of public examination(s) result slip(s) / certificate(s). ?
- Attached a copy (copies) of the IELTS Test Report Form(s) / TOEFL Score Report(s) (if applicable).
- Attached a copy (copies) of graduation certificate(s) issued by the secondary school(s) you attended.
- Attached a copy (copies) of transcripts/testimonial(s) issued by the higher education institution attended (as appropriate).
- Attached a copy of offer letter / supporting document to prove that you have been admitted by the higher education institution.
- Made arrangements for the Recommendation Form to be completed and returned to the Education Bureau by the deadline.
- Attached separate sheets (if applicable).
Application Deadline: The application period is from August, 7 to August 17, 2017.