Applications are invited for Heinz-Kühn-Foundation Scholarships for young journalists from developing countries. This is fully funded scholarship which provides funds to enable candidates to gain professional journalism experience in North-Rhine-Westphalia for up to three months.
The aim of the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation is to support the training and professional development of junior journalists.
In order to promote the training and further education of young journalists, the Heinz-Kühn-Stiftung awards six-week or three-month scholarships for stays abroad in Africa, Asia and Latin America to young journalists from North Rhine-Westphalia. At the same time, the foundation finances up to six-month stays for journalists from Africa, Asia and Latin America in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Applications deadline: November 30, 2017
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to young journalists.
- Study Subject: The foundation awards scholarships to young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia for six-week or three-month reporting trips in developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Scholarship Award: Scholarship holders get
- A lump-sum contribution towards living expenses in the host country (with scholarship payments covering training and living expenses in the host country);
- A lump-sum allowance for flight and travelling expenses (the foundation pays a return air ticket for candidates from abroad);
- An allowance to cover costs of research materials (e.g. literature);
- An allowance for trips within the host country; and,
- (If necessary, for scholarship holders from abroad) a German language course of up to four months at the Düsseldorf or Bonn based Goethe-Institute.
In the lead up to the scholarship and throughout the duration of the scholarship, the Heinz-Kühn-Foundation will provide support.
- Nationality: Young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia and developing countries are eligible for this scholarship.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia and developing countries are eligible for a scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: Young journalists from North-Rhine-Westphalia and developing countries are eligible for a scholarship if they satisfy the following requirements:
- Have a keen interest in development issues;
- have already gained substantial professional experience in journalism (a completed college education is desirable);
- Are not older than 35 years of age; and,
- Have a good command of the official language of their host country (candidates from abroad must at least have a basic knowledge of the German language).
English Language Requirements: Have a good command of the official language of their host country (candidates from abroad must at least have a basic knowledge of the German language).
How to Apply:
Journalists who meet the requirements for a scholarship should first contact the foundation to discuss possible host countries and their topics of interest.
Applications for the following year must be received by 30 November.
The foundation’s postal address is:
Ministerpräsident des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
The following documents should be enclosed with the application:
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form and a photograph;
- Certificates of vocational training and present occupation;
- Foreign languages certificates;
- German candidates should provide a detailed statement explaining their reasons for applying, their choice of host country and proposed topic of research.
- Candidates from abroad should provide a letter of motivation in German.