Open University is offering free histology online course. This course is designed for students studying human biology at school or university, medical laboratory scientists and anyone interested in biomedical science.
In this course, applicants will get an introduction to histology – the study of anatomy at a microscopic level and find out how it is used to identify disease. The course will start on July 16, 2018.
User Review( vote)
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Institution: Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on July 16, 2018
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning. The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. All Open University Science courses presented on FutureLearn are produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
About This Course
This free online course will help you understand the basic principles of light microscopy, before introducing you to histology, concentrating on the structure, function and relationship of normal human tissues.
Why Take This Course?
You will gain access to a virtual microscope, enabling you to compare normal tissues with pathological (or diseased) tissues, and find out how pathologists use histopathology, to examine tissues at a microscopic level and identify disease.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of microscopy
- Identify a number of the more common tissues from their histological appearance
- Relate the structure of tissues seen under the microscope to their function
- Identify gross abnormalities, such as neurodegeneration, inflammation and cancer.
This course is designed for students studying human biology at school or university, medical laboratory scientists and anyone interested in biomedical science.
You will be making extensive use of a virtual microscope that will work on all modern browsers on both desktops and tablets. However, we recommend completing the course on a desktop for better viewing of the sections and to enable integration of microscopy with the course text, images and video in separate windows.
He is been Professor of Biology at the OU since 1999, with a particular interest in the use of multimedia for teaching biomedical sciences.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).