The Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities at the University of Edinburgh is awarding postdoctoral fellowships and bursaries for the academic year 2023-2024. The institute welcomes visiting researchers from across the world.
The main objective of the university is to provide high-quality, comprehensive educational and training opportunities that are compatible with the changing needs of the students.
A fine program for aspirants
User Review( votes)
IASH provides an enviable location in one of the world‡s most intellectually inspiring cities, together with a dynamic network of international connections. From upwards of 65 countries, IASH fellows form a global alumni community and many career-long connections begin at the Institute.
Applications Deadline: The applications for this grant will be accepted only through April 28, 2023.
- Course Level: Fellowship is available for pursuing a postdoctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: Applications are invited for postdoctoral bursaries from candidates in any area of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Awards: In short, a 2023-2024 IASH Postdoctoral Fellowship provides:
- Research visit at the University of Edinburgh for three to ten months
- Bursary* of up to a maximum of £13,000
- Dedicated office space, University e-mail, and library access
- An allocated University mentor from an area relevant to the Fellows‡ research interests
- Weekly Fellows‡ Lunch to build community
- Collegial work-in-progress seminar series for testing new ideas
- Calendar of engaging events at the Institute and College
- Opportunities to participate in and design funded workshops, colloquia, etc at the Institute
- Nationality: International Students
- The award can be taken in the UK
- Eligible Countries: The Institute welcomes visiting researchers from across the world.
- Entrance Requirements: We warmly welcome applications from both within and beyond the University of Edinburgh. Applicants must have been awarded a doctorate at the time of application, and normally within the last three years (you must be able to produce a transcript, testamur, or a letter of completion/eligibility to graduate as part of your application). You should not have held a permanent position at a university or a previous Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Studies. Those who have held temporary and/or short-term appointments are eligible to apply.
- In addition to the application form, a minimum of two and a maximum of three confidential references are required.
- Applicants should ask their referees to email their reference to the Director at [email protected] by 29 April 2022. If references are not received by this date, your application cannot be considered.
- Referees should comment on the nature and quality of the research proposal, as well as on the qualifications of the applicant. One referee should certify the successful viva (defence) and final examination of the candidate‡s PhD thesis.
- English Language Requirements: All students of every nationality are required to prove their English language competence. Even native speakers of English must demonstrate that they meet our minimum language requirements to gain entry to the University. University accepts all of the English language qualifications for entry to the University, including IELTS qualifications from any IELTS test centre. Applicants who require an IELTS test as part of an application for degree-level studies may take this test at any IELTS centre.