The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is offering international Ph.D. fellowships in Biomedicine. These fellowships are offered to European citizens working in Europe or overseas, and to non-European citizens pursuing their Ph.D. project in Europe.
The aim of the fellowship is to promote basic research in biomedicine by providing the best young, up-and-coming scientists with comprehensive support during their Ph.D. phase.
A great offer for European citizens to take part in a PhD program in Germany.
User Review( votes)
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is a public foundation – an independent, non-profit organization for the exclusive and direct promotion of basic research in biomedicine.
- Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 1 February.
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing a Ph.D. program.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Biomedicine.
- Scholarship Award: Varies
- Number of Scholarships: Not Known
- Nationality: Fellowship is awarded to European citizens working in Europe or overseas, and to non-European citizens
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
- Eligible Countries: Fellowship is awarded to European citizens working in Europe or overseas, and to non-European citizens pursuing their Ph.D. project in Europe.
- Entrance Requirements: The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) awards Ph.D. fellowships to European citizens working in Europe or overseas, and to non-European citizens pursuing their Ph.D. project in Europe. At the respective deadline (1 February, 1 June, 1 October) the university entrance qualification (see also documents required for your application) must not have been achieved more than 8 years ago.
- The Ph.D. project must be experimental, in the field of basic biomedical research and aimed at elucidating basic biological phenomena of human life and acquiring new scientific knowledge. For a survey on the range of topics, please refer to the results of finished projects in FUTURA, the international journal of the foundation. Natural scientists should have been awarded their ultimate university degree (diploma, MSc, BSc, or equivalent). Students who have not yet finished their MSc studies, i.e. who cannot provide their MSc certificate at the deadline, can only apply when they are able to hand in their certificate within 4 months after the deadline. Physicians, veterinary surgeons, and pharmacists should have passed their state examinations.
- the date of the final degree examination (e.g. BSc, MSc, Diploma, Licenciatura, Laurea) on the official certificate if the applicant continues to work in the same research group; or
- the month of arrival at the laboratory in which the Ph.D. project is pursued if the applicant changes his/her research group, irrespective of the project he/she starts to work on.
How to Apply: The application for a Ph.D. fellowship of the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds consists of two parts:
- The online application via the application form portal and
- Two paper copies of the application including one CD to be sent by regular mail to Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds, Schuster. 46-48, 55116 Mainz, Germany
- The project proposal – must be written in English and by the applicants themselves. However, we recommend consultation with the scientific supervisor. The form of the presentation should be adequate but simple; please do not staple, tack, or bind documents.
- The two paper copies should contain all the data and documents listed under (1) – (9). The CD should be clearly labeled with the applicant’s first name, family name, and email address and contain documents (1) – (7), preferably in one PDF file.
- Detailed presentation of the Ph.D. project (please also refer to “How to write a research proposal“): formulation of the problem, the current status of research, applicant’s own groundwork, objectives, experimental strategy including methods of investigation (at least 4-5 pages for strategy and methods), references (including all authors and full titles of the papers cited), work schedule showing the anticipated duration of the entire project and the individual steps;
- summary of the final experimental thesis (e.g. bachelor, diploma, or master thesis) before embarking on the Ph.D. project; if no final experimental thesis was performed please give the reason(s) in the “additional information” field in the online application;
- English Language Requirements: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.