Applications are invited for IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong. This NCI Travel Scholarships is available for professionals from low-income and low-middle-income countries (LMIC) to attend the 2018 IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong.
This Research Training Academy aims to combine both capacity-building around knowledge generation using traditional quantitative and qualitative research designs as well as the field of knowledge translation research.
User Review( votes)
Founded in 1984, the International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS) was created to foster international multidisciplinary communication about clinical, educational and research issues that relate to the subspecialty of psycho-oncology and two primary psychosocial dimensions of cancer: Response of patients, families and staff to cancer and its treatment at all stages; and Psychological, social and behavioral factors that influence tumor progression and survival.
- Applications Deadline: June 22, 2018
- Course Level: This is a research training scholarship programme.
- Study Subject: Theme:Research Training Academy to Build the Future Generation of Psycho-Oncology Researchers in Low- and Low-Middle-Income Countries.
- ScholarshipAward: The number of scholarships and capacity to cover expenses related to the IPOS Congress from October 31-November 2 following the RTA will depend on funding, and scholars need to be available for this period as well. NCI Travel Scholarships from October 28-30, 2018 will cover costs of training, flight, hotel and meals.
- Nationality: Available to applicants from Lower and Middle income countries.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarshipcan be taken in Hong Kong
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Available to applicants from Lower and Middle income countries:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Entrance Requirements: Full eligibility criteria for the NCI Travel Scholarship application (please note that all criteria must be met):
- Be a professional within completion of their academic training and establishment of their independent careers (i.e., within 6 years of completion of their academic training);
- Be based in and conduct their research in LMIC in a variety of clinical or academic fields appropriate to the field of psycho-oncology (e.g., physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, epidemiologist);
- Country of residence in Low-income and lower-middle income countries as defined by the World Bank: https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/906519-world-bank-country-and-lending-groups;
- Fluent in oral and written English;
- Provide a photocopy of a national passport from the country of residence valid for the required period after departure from Hong Kong (November 3, 2018) – Please check with your appropriate embassy or consular authority to ensure your passport is valid for the required period;
- Have no known criminal record;
- If this is required (depends on the country of residence see link below), commit to obtain a Visit/Transit Visa from Hong Kong and show proof of this valid Visa to IPOS at least 2 months before the RTA (before August 28, 2018) https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html; You can find the Visa form here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID1003A.pdf
- Be eligible to obtain a Visa from Hong Kong if a Visa is required: https://immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit_transit.html;
- Commit to attend the three-day Research Training Academy on October 28-30 if selected to obtain a NCI Travel Scholarship;
- Provided IPOS fundraising is successful, commit to attend the three day IPOS Congress in Hong Kong (on October 31-November 2) as well as specific events within this congress as mandated by the RTA Organizing Committee: http://www.ipos2018.com/;
- Commit to developing a research project during the Research Training Academy and present it briefly in a 15-min presentation on the last day of the Academy;
- Commit to being mentored during 6 meetings over one year by an IPOS researcher for continued scientific support in implementing a research project;
- The Scholarships will comply with the Fly America Act, which will require that all domestic and international travel funded be purchased from a US-flag air carrier. The Fly America Act applies to any segment of a trip where a US-flag carrier is an available option;
- Be open to sharing a hotel room in double occupancy during the Research Training Academy and Congress (with same sex pairing).
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in oral and written English.
How to Apply: Please email your Scholarship Application Form including the Check List, a current copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English and a copy of your passport no later than June 22, 2018 to the following email: applications2018RTA-at-ipos-society.org. Please note that applications without a 5-page CV and copy of passport will not be accepted.