Davidson College is offering free online course on Medicinal Chemistry: The Molecular Basis of Drug Discovery. This medicinal chemistry course explores how chemists modify a molecule’s structure to design a safe and effective drug.
In this seven-week course, applicants will gain a better understanding of the drug discovery process to learn how safe, effective drugs are developed and optimized. This course will start on October 2, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 6-8 hours pw
Institution: Davidson College and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on October 2, 2017
Davidson College provides one of the nation’s most intellectually rigorous undergraduate experiences. Davidson’s renowned faculty and innovative transdisciplinary programs have earned the college distinction as one of the most research-active liberal arts institutions in the country, as well as consistent national recognition for overall quality, faculty-student research collaboration, and teaching.
About This Course
This course opens with a brief history of drug discovery and introduces the modern drug approval process. Then, we will transition to learning about receptors and enzymes, the body’s molecules most often targeted by drugs. University will also discuss the topics of pharmacokinetics (drug adsorption, elimination, and half-life) and metabolism.
Why Take This Course?
The course closes with units on how potential drug molecules are identified and subsequently optimized into safe and effective drugs.
- How to measure the activity of enzymes and receptors
- Methods for modeling a drug’s half-life
- How to predict and alter the metabolism of a molecule
- Techniques for discovering molecules with desired biological activity
- Approaches for optimizing a molecule into a safe and effective drug
Erland Stevens earned his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1997 under Will Pearson in the area of nitrogen heterocycles. He then pursued postdoctoral studies at The Scripps Research Institute with K. Barry Sharp less.
High school level chemistry and biology and some experience with organic chemistry. Basic math skills (logarithms and exponential functions) are also recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)