Applications are invited for Microsoft Research Asia Fellowships from junior PhD students to pursue their research interests while taking tangible and worthwhile steps toward building a successful career.
This program is open to students from invited universities with eligible computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, information science, or automation departments.
Best offer for candidates
User Review( votes)
The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Program identifies the next generation of research leaders through a unique program that offers a combination of mentorship, research, networking, and academic opportunities to promising young candidates.
Microsoft Research is the research division of Microsoft. It was formed with the intent to advance the state of the art computing and solve difficult world problems through technological innovation in collaboration with academic, government, and industry researchers.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
- Course Level: Fellowship is available for junior PhD students to pursue their research interests.
- Study Subject: Major falls within the broad scope of computer science, electronic engineering, information science, or applied mathematics. The program is open to research areas outside core computer science, but they expect to see a strong computing component in an applicant’s proposed research. Areas of interest: Artificial intelligence, Hardware computing, Human-computer interaction, Internet graphics, Internet media, Knowledge mining, Machine learning, Media computing, Mobile and sensing systems, Multimedia search and mining, Natural language computing, Software Analytics, Speech, System algorithms, Systems, Theory, Visual computing, Web search and data management, Wireless and networking.
- Awards: Varies
- Number of Scholarships: Not Given
- Nationality: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan countries
- Scholarship can be taken in China (Beijing)
- Eligible Countries: Students from China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan countries are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements:
- Applicants must attend a university in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, or Taiwan, and do research work that relates to computing topics in which Microsoft Research has the expertise (click on Research Areas at the top of the page for a full list).
- According to the definition of the normative period of PhD programs of the applicant’s university and region, the applicant must still be in an eligible PhD program until the spring semester of 2021. The applicants and their advisors will be asked for supporting documents if needed.
- Multiple applicants from one supervisor will not be considered for acceptance.
- The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Committee has the final determination of the interpretation of the above clauses.
- How to Apply: Applications must be submitted via the online application tool in any of the following formats: Word document, text-only file, PDF or ZIP. Email or hard copy applications will not be considered
- Supporting Documents: You must submit all the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Research Statement. This statement (of approximately 1,000 words) provides a summary of your research accomplishments and current work. It must discuss the future direction and potential of your work, especially your research plan for the next few years of PhD study.
- At least two letters of reference from established researchers familiar with your research.
- English Language Requirements: The candidate should have a very good command of the English language.
The Microsoft Research Asia Fellowship Program offers some of the industry’s most competitive incentives and rewards, including:
- Cash awards of $10,000 USD, which can be used to support research initiatives and academic endeavors including, but not limited to: attending international research conferences/events, and subsidizing paper and patent application fees.
- The guarantee of an optional three-month internship at Microsoft Research Asia.
- The opportunity to attend the Microsoft Research Asia Academic Conference—one of the most prestigious academic conferences in computer science in the Asia-Pacific region.
- At the discretion of Microsoft Research Asia, fellows and their advisors may be invited to participate in collaborative research projects and academic exchange events.