The Center for Conflict Studies (CCS) at Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) is excited to announce their fifth Summer Peacebuilding Program (SPP). The program is a three-week long intensive training program designed to bridge the theory and practice of building peace in societies that are emerging from conflict, violence or war.
The SPP is an intense program with about eight hours of classwork per day and an expectation of regular group work deadlines being met. The final week of the SPP is residential in Mount Madonna.
User Review( votes)
The CCS is a research center of the MIIS. It was started with a specific goal of developing programs and publications that would contribute to the theory and practice of the field of conflict studies.
Field of Internship: Internship is available for students and practitioners in the field of conflict, peace, development, and security studies
Course Level: Internship
Internship Provider: CCS at Middlebury Institute of International Studies
Internship can be taken in Monterey City in California, USA
To be eligible, applicants must:
- SPP welcomes all those interested in exploring the above-mentioned topics through a process of self-reflection, gathering of theoretical and conceptual data and its application to real-world problems.
- Students and practitioners in the field of conflict, peace, development, and security studies are eligible to apply.
Internship Open for International Students: NA
Is this paid internship? This is a paid internship programme.
The SPP program cost is as follows for the 2019 SPP:
- General Participants (with shared lodging for three weeks and food for one week): USD 1000
- Middlebury College Students (with shared lodging for three weeks and food for one week): USD 750
- Middlebury Institute Students (with shared lodging for one week and food for one week): USD 600
- Students can receive academic credits for the program (paying additional tuition fees as required by their educational institution). MIIS students can receive up to six credits for the SPP (conflict resolution certificate students can also count two credits towards their practice requirement).
- Scholarship: They are offering reduced rates for our program and therefore no opportunities are available.
Summer Peacebuilding Program (SPP) provides an opportunity for participants to learn from the experiences and approaches of scholars and practitioners who work on some of the most difficult challenges our world faces today.
The work including resolving conflict, ending all forms of violence, providing social justice, and creating more secure and developed societies by transforming the conditions and relationships of conflict.
In four years, SPP has trained 53 students from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Number of awards offered: Numbers not given
The 2019 program will run from July 29 to August 16, 2019. The opening reception is scheduled for July 28 and participation in the event in mandatory.
- The first and second week of SPP will be held at the MIIS campus in Montereywith a lodging option within walking distance to campus.
- The third week of SPP will be residential at the Mount Madonna Conference Centerin Watsonville, CA.
Notification: SPP applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, so they review and respond to you two weeks after your application is received.
How to Apply:
Admission to the 2019 SPP is now open. If you are interested in attending, please fill out the 2019 SPP application. Attach a one page CV (no more than one page – only pdf accepted), Files must be less than 150 MB. Allowed file types: pdf.
The following is their admission criteria for the 2019 SPP:
- Proficiency in the English language
- Academic or equivalent work experience
- Clear personal and career goals
- Ability to meet SPP financial requirements
Internship Application Deadline: Rolling Basis but final deadline is Wednesday, April 24, 2019 (midnight PST)
- Acceptance Letters emailed: Two weeks after application received
- Deposit due: On admission (Non-refundable USD 100 for MIIS/MIDD students and USD 250 for general participants, to reserve space)
- Final payment due: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 (midnight PST) (non-refundable)
- To contact the SPP, email [email protected]