A new exciting position on the design and control of the soft-bodied unmanned underwater vehicle is currently available at the University of Southampton. The PhD project is part of the jointly funded NERC-EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training “NEXUSS” (Next Generation Unmanned System Science).
This PhD project, lasting 3 years and 8 months and starting in September 2017, will be undertaken jointly by the University of Southampton (UoS) Fluid-Structure-Interaction Research Group, the National Oceanography Centre Southampton (NOCS) and the Ocean Systems Lab at Heriot-Watt University (HWU). The students will be supervised by Dr. G. Weymouth and Dr. F. Giorgio-Serchi (UoS), Prof. A. Garabato (NOCS) and Prof. D. Lane (HWU).
User Review( votes)
Course Level: These studentships are available to pursue PhD.
Study Subject: These studentships are awarded in research topics span the coast to the deep ocean, atmosphere and land, tackling the most pressing scientific questions of our age, within the environmental sciences.
Scholarship Award: These studentships are fully funded.
Numbers of Scholarships: Not known
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these studentships:
- BSc/MSci 2:1, and/or
- Masters (MSc or MRes) at Merit/Distinction level (>60%), and/or
- Evidence of significant relevant professional experience equivalent to Masters Level.
- From one of the following disciplines:
- Quantitative disciplines (mathematics, engineering, computer science, physics),
- Earth or environmental sciences, geology, geophysics, oceanography or marine science
- Biology, chemistry
Nationality: UK applicants can apply for these studentships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be BSC /MSC 2:1.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online mode.
- All PhD applications to NEXUSS should be made via the Institution hosting the project of interest.
- New projects eligible for full-NEXUSS funding can be found for all hosting partners at Current projects at all NEXUSS institutions.
- Projects hosted at the University of Southampton, National Oceanography Centre Southampton can be found under the Current Projects at Southampton.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact potential supervisors by email to discuss project-specific aspects of the proposed research at an early stage. General enquiries should be directed to the NEXUSS Team on nexuss-at-soton.ac.uk
Application Deadline: The application deadline is June 26, 2017.