The University of Tokyo is pleased to offer International Student Special Scholarship Program for September 2017 intake. This is available to pursue a PhD program at the Graduate School of Science.
The purpose of this scholarship is twofold: To financially support self-supported International Students whose academic performance is outstanding and to increase the number of students from abroad.
Exceptional Scholarship for International Students.
User Review( votes)
The University of Tokyo, abbreviated as Todai, is a research university located in Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan. The University aims to provide its students with a rich and varied academic environment that ensures opportunities for both intellectual development and the acquisition of professional knowledge and skills.
All self-financed overseas student with outstanding performance to be admitted to the graduate school are eligible (however, not eligible if claiming tuition fee exemption). As a rule, anyone receiving or expecting to receive any other awards are excluded.
- As a rule applicant from private foundations (including provisional applicants) are not eligible.
- These are available to pursue a Ph.D. degree programme.
- These awarded in all subjects available within the Graduate School of Science.
- Applicants for the JASSO’s Honors for Privately Financed International Students will not be excluded. However, if accepted for this grant-in-aid, it is expected that the Honors from JASSO will be declined.
- Applicants for exemption from the tuition fees for the 2nd semester of 2017 will not be excluded. However, if accepted for this grant-in-aid, it is expected that the application for exemption will be withdrawn.
- Applicants for the University of Tokyo Foundation for Supporting International Students (including provisional applicants) will not be excluded. However, if accepted for this grant-in-aid, it is expected that the from the University of Tokyo Foundation will be declined.
- International students can apply.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Applicants should submit the application documents (section 8) to the Graduate School Office at the time of their Graduate School application for admission to the PhD Program.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants required to submit the following documents:
- The University of Tokyo Fellowship Application Form….1 original copy.
- One letter of recommendation to the University of Tokyo Fellowship, from the faculty of applicant’s college or university….1 original copy.
- Admission Requirements: One who has obtained one of the following degrees from an institution abroad: a Master’s Degree; a Professional Degree; or a degree equivalent to either of the aforementioned degrees.
- One who has been approved by the Graduate School of Science of the University of Tokyo as being academically equivalent or superior to a Master’s Degree or Professional Degree holder and who is at least 24 years of age.
- Language Requirement: Applicants whose native language is English may in some cases be exempted from submitting a TOEFL score, with the advance approval of the Graduate School of Science.
Benefits: This award provides a monthly stipend of 150,000 yen to a self-supporting international student who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement.
Application Deadline: Closed