Onassis Foundation is offering programmes for international students starting on October 1st, 2018. The studentships are available to University Professors of all levels (PhD holders), postdoctoral researchers (PhD holders), artists, postgraduate students and PhD candidates.
In 1995 the Foundation established an annual program of grants and scholarships for research, study and artistic endeavour within Greece. The educational program is intended exclusively for non-Greeks: members of national academies, university professors of all levels, PhD holders, post-doctorate researchers and doctoral candidates.
User Review( votes)
The Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation was established in December 1975 in accordance with Aristotle Onassis’ last wish to honour the memory of his son, Alexander.
- Application deadline: Closed
- Course Level: The studentships are available to University Professors of all levels (PhD holders), postdoctoral researchers and PhD candidates.
- Study Subject: The Programme covers the following fields only: Humanities: Philology, Literature, Linguistics, History, Archaeology, Philosophy, Educational Studies, Psychology. Social Science (excluding Law): Political Sciences, Sociology, International and European Studies, Social Policy. Economic Science: Maritime Studies, Finance, and Public Finance, Arts: Art History, Visual Arts, Music, Dance, Theater, Photography, Film Studies and New Media Cultural administration, (only Theoretic Studies, artists are not included).
- Number of Awards: A total of ten (10) financial aid positions will be awarded from which three (3) financial aid positions will be allocated to university professors of all academic ranks, three (3) scholarships to post-graduate researchers and four (4) scholarships to PhD candidates.
- Nationality: International Students
- The award can be taken in the UK
- Eligible Countries: International students can apply for these Onassis scholarships. Cypriot citizens are also eligible to apply for Category D and E fellowship only provided they permanently reside and work outside Greece.
- Entrance Requirements: The Program covers scholarly research in Greece only and in the fields stated above.
- Eligible to participate are the following candidates:
- Persons of non-Greek descent
- Cypriot citizens are also eligible to apply for Category D and E fellowship only, provided they permanently reside and work outside Greece
- Persons of Greek descent (second generation and on) are also eligible to apply for a fellowship or scholarship, provided they permanently reside and work abroad or currently study in foreign Universities
- Category D and E also applies to Scholars of Greek descent or citizenship provided they have a professional academic career of at least ten (10) years in a University or Research Institute abroad
- The above-mentioned clarification (d) also applies to PhD candidates of Greek descent or citizenship, who pursue post-graduate studies outside of Greece (Category C – please see below), have conducted their high school studies and have obtained a degree outside Greece and permanently reside outside Greece for more than fifteen (15) years
- Former Fellowship Recipients of the Foundation can re-apply for a fellowship only if five (5) years have elapsed since their previous fellowship scholarship.
- Former Fellowship Recipients of the Foundation who have twice received a fellowship cannot apply again to the Onassis Fellowships Program for International Scholars.
- No extension of the duration of the fellowship beyond the period mentioned in this announcement for each category will be permitted.
- It is not possible to postpone or defer the fellowship to a later academic year.
- The decision to authorize each application for a fellowship or scholarship is left to the absolute discretion of the Board of Directors of the Foundation. The Board takes into account the recommendations of the Foundation’s Scientific Committee, which is selected by the Board but is not bound by these recommendations. Furthermore, the Board of Directors can either approve or reject an application without communicating the rationale. All meetings of the Board and all recommendations of the Committee are confidential and under no circumstances will they be communicated to the applicants. The submission of an application equals acceptance of all the conditions of the Announcement.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Candidates are invited to carefully read the Announcement before completing their application. The online submission of the application does not imply that the said application is accepted for further evaluation.
Candidatures that do not meet even one of the conditions of the current Announcement are automatically withdrawn from the evaluation process.
By submitting an application for an Onassis scholarship, candidates state clearly and unequivocally that they unconditionally accept all the terms of the Announcement and the relevant application.