JSMC invites applications for a
PhD Fellowship (Ref.No. JSMC?41/2009) on the topic
Molecular interaction between the grub of Melolontha hippocastani and its intercellular pathogen
The phytophagous scarab beetle Melolontha hippocastani is a severe pest in forestry and, therefore, target of pest control. Rickettsia is a potential biocontrol agent, causing a fatal behavioral change and a color change in the grub upon infection. The project addresses the questions: i) How is the infection established, ii) what causes the color change, and iii) do the endosymbionts produce a factor that modifies the insect’s behavior. Analyses will be based on an SD?PCR protocol developed in our lab.
User Review( votes)
– a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural or Life Sciences (e.g. Biology, (Bio)chemistry, Molecular
Biology). Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
– high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
– creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
– an integrative and cooperative personality
– very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
– a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top?level research
– a PhD stipend paid for 3 years according to the rules of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as
well as generous research funding
– a comprehensive mentoring program with efficient supervision by a team of supervisors
– courses in novel technologies and soft skills
– Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively city with dynamic business activities,
successful scientific centres of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich
Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer.
The application procedure is handled online exclusively via the JSMC website
Please visit this website to acquaint yourself with details about the project above and other PhD projects offered within the current JSMC Recruitment Call. Then complete and submit the ‘Statement of Interest’ form downloadable from www.jsmc?uni?jena.de. Applications can only be considered upon receipt of the completed form, submitted by email to [email protected]?jena.de. DO NOT submit any additional documents at this point.
Deadline for submission of the ‘Statement of Interest’: April 6th, 2009.
Selected applicants will be invited to the JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, at the end of June, 2009. PhD fellowship awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter (July 2009).