Job Description: The Geomatics Program at the University of Florida is seeking a PhD candidate to develop efficient algorithms for finding multiple-criteria optimal paths in street networks with a focus on scenic and touristic routes. This PhD research will compare heuristic and deterministic approaches and test them for scalability (large vs. small networks), and sensitivity to different network characteristics. Another aspect of this research involves consideration of Web 2.0 data mining techniques for the automated identification of scenic locations within a street network.
This PhD work will be carried out at UF’s Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center (http://flrec.ifas.ufl.edu/), which is located about 20 miles north of Miami and hosts several academic programs. The position is funded through a Google research grant and other research projects. The start date for this position is January 2011. This position includes a tuition waiver, health insurance, and an annual stipend. Funding for up to 4 years is available.
User Review( votes)
Eligibility: Suitable applicants should meet the following requirements:
• A master’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Geographic Information Science or other related analytical disciplines.
• Experience in computer programming and GIS. Development and testing of network based search algorithms will be central to the success of the research.
• The applicant should have a solid background in graph theory and optimization problems.
• Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English.
• Applicants with qualified academic records and good TOEFL and GRE scores will be considered immediately.
• International applicants must be able to submit the test scores by the end of Sep 2010 at latest for Jan 2011 admission.
The PhD candidate will enter an approved program leading to the degree of PhD within a time frame of 3-4 years. It is a prerequisite, however, that the formal admission requirements for the PhD program are met before an appointment can be made. Position is open until filled.
For more information please contact Dr. Hartwig Hochmair (hhhochmair ‘at’ ufl.edu), phone 954-577-6317.
The electronic application contains: a cover letter, CV, copy of academic transcripts, contact information of three references. E-mail the application materials to Dr. Hartwig Hochmair.
Contact address : IFAS – Geomatics
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center (FLREC)
University of Florida
3205 College Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314-7799