The University of Amsterdam, Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED), invite applications for a PhD candidate in Marine Microbial Ecology in the Department of Freshwater and Marine Ecology. PhD candidate will work in the Department of Freshwater and Marine Ecology (FAME), headed by Prof. Jef Huisman.
The project will be supervised by Dr Susanne Wilken and aims to investigate predatory lifestyles in marine phytoplankton and their role in the microbial food webs of the ocean.
User Review( votes)
The University of Amsterdam is a public university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands; it is the third-oldest university in the Netherlands. It is one of the largest research universities in Europe with 31,186 students, 4,794 staff, 1,340 PhD students and an annual budget of €600 million.
- Application deadline: 15 September 2018
- Course Level: Position is available for a PhD researcher.
- Study Subject: Position is awarded in the field of Marine Microbial Ecology.
- Scholarship Award: The full-time gross monthly salary will range from €2,266 in the first year to €2,897 in the final year, according to the Dutch salary scales for PhD students. TheCollective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable. The annual salary will be increased by 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus.
- Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for the position
- Number of Scholarships: Number of position is not given
- Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International applicants are eligible to apply for the position
- Entrance Requirements:
- MSc in Microbial Ecology, Aquatic Ecology, Marine Biology, Biological Oceanography or a related field;
- experience with cultivation of micro-organisms;
- experience with molecular techniques, preferably genomics/transcriptomics;
- experience with fieldwork;
- experience with bioinformatics analyses is desired;
- ability to work in a multi-disciplinary research team;
- excellent communication skills in English.
- English Language Requirements: Applicant must be fluent in English.
How to Apply: Applications may only be submitted by using the link below.
- The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
- You may send your application ultimately at 15 September 2018 using the link below. Please quote vacancy number 18-464 in the subject field.
- Your application should include:
- a letter of motivation (max 1 page);
- a detailed CV, including a list of publications and
- the names and contact addresses of two references, from whom information about the candidate can be obtained.
4. Please combine all these items into a single PDF file of manageable size. Interviews, possibly via Skype, will be scheduled for 15 October 2018. #LI-DNP