Applications are invited for two posts of Postdoctoral Research Associates and/or PhD positions in the Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, UK
The positions are full-time and are available for 4 years from 1st April 2008 until 31th March 2011, working on a MRC funded Research Grant: “Neuronal Mechanisms and Neuropharmacology of Perceptual Learning”, held by Prof. Alexander Thiele.
The post-holders will play leading roles in conducting research in association with Prof. Alexander Thiele, concerning the mechanisms and neuropharmacology of perceptual learning in macaques in striate and extrastriate visual brain areas. The study will employ electrophysiological, neuropharmacological, and psychophysical techniques in task performing macaques. The post- holders will design, implement, complete and write up experiments, in close collaboration with Alexander Thiele and others.
User Review( votes)
Required skills for Research Associates include:
· Research experience in sensory and cognitive neuroscience.
· PhD in neuroscience or a related field. Experience in conducting research with any or all of the following methods; electrophysiology, psychophysics, mathematical modelling (applicants for a PhD require equivalent qualifications at the undergraduate level).
· Interest and knowledge in the research field of learning, sensory processing, attention and neuropharmacology.
· Experience with software used in electrophysiological recordings.
· Record of publishing papers in high-impact peer-review journals in the field (only applicable for applicants at the post-doctoral level).
· Expertise in Matlab and C programming.
Salary will be from £25,134 -£32,796, depending on knowledge and experience. PhD positions will be funded ~ according to PhD stipends from the UK Research Councils (currently at £12,600 p.a.).
Applications (e-mail or hard copy) by covering letter, CV, names of 2 referees, and Personal Information form (the latter available at: www.ncl.ac.uk/vacancies/employ.rtf), by email to [email protected] or by regular mail to: Prof. Alexander Thiele, Henry Wellcome Building, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH.
Further information concerning the post is at: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/alex.thiele/
The closing date for applications is 31 March 2008, or until the adequate candidates have been found.