The Italian Institute for Historical Studies has established up to 15 PhD scholarships programme for young graduates and PhD students for the 2018-2019 academic year. These scholarships are available for both Italian and foreign students.
The Italian Institute for Historical Studies, which was founded in 1946 by Benedetto Croce next to its historic library in Palazzo Filomarino, was established as an Ente morale (state decree No. 46, on 9/1/1947), and proposes, as its statute decrees, to foster in young people “a greater awareness of history in relation to the study of the philosophy of logic, ethics, law, economy and politics, religion and those arts which define and demonstrate human values; ends and values to which the historian is called upon to understand in order to narrate the events of history.”
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Applications Deadline: July 31, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available for young graduates and PhD students.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in historical, philosophical and literary subjects.
- Scholarship Award: The Italian Institute for Historical Studies announces the competition to the following annual scholarships for young graduates and research doctors, Italians and foreigners, in historical, philosophical and literary subjects, for further research:
a) Fourteen grants of € 12,000.00 each; for residents in the Campania Region the amount is € 9,700.00;
b) A scholarship entitled to “Federico II” offered by the University of Naples for graduates in Italian universities with a thesis on the medieval subject, amounting to € 10,300.00.
- Nationality: These scholarships are available for both Italian and foreign students.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 15 scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: These scholarships are available for both Italian and foreign students.
Entrance Requirements: For the present call for tender, those who possess the following requisites:
- Under the age of 32 on the expiry date of 31 July 2018 (born from 1 August 1986);
- Graduates and PhDs who, by the expiry date, have discussed the Master’s or PhD thesis in historical, philosophical and literary subjects, and who want to wait for further research.
Applicants who have already received scholarships at the Institute or who have been granted the following conditions for the period starting from 1 November 2018 are excluded from the granting of the scholarship.
- Scholarship holders or research grants;
- PhD students with a grant check;
- Those who perform other paid activities that are incompatible with the obligations set forth in this announcement (§ 4).
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The application form (to be downloaded from the website www.iiss.it ) duly completed and signed must be sent to the Italian Institute for Historical Studies, Via Benedetto Croce, 12 – 80134 Naples, no later than 31st July 2018 : per package recommended with a return receipt (the date of the original postmark will not be used) or delivered by hand with a receipt, accompanied by the following documentation in the order indicated:
a) Copy of the identity document.
b) Curriculum studiorum of the candidate, indicating the language skills.
c) Four-year degree certificate or specialized degree, with the marks given in the single exams, and/or doctorate. For foreign candidates, certificate of an equivalent qualification.
d) Paper and an electronic copy of the degree or PhD thesis and any other printed works.
e) Synthetic elaboration (maximum 10 folders) of the thesis and/or doctoral thesis.
f) The research program in Italian (maximum 5 folders) showing the purpose, the time to complete it, the materials to be used, the places where the research should take place.
g) Letters and certificates of at least two scholars under whose guidance the candidate works or has worked.
Applications that do not fully satisfy the above conditions will not be taken into consideration.