The Ghent University is inviting applications for 2 Ph.D. students on Plastic recycling. The Ph.D. students will be based in Ghent/Kortrijk and will travel approximately 3-4 weeks per year to the other case study cities.
Plasticity is an INTERREG 2 Seas project that is aimed at increasing recycling rates of plastic waste in urban environments. Basically, it is about smarter source separation, collection and lumping of waste streams from different actors and finding end markets based on the technical properties of the lumps. It includes a mobile unit for testing, demonstration and sensitization that will be used in the 4 case study cities: Ghent (BE), Den Haag (NL), Southend On Sea (UK) and Douai (FR).
Amazing opportunity for applicants
User Review( votes)
The Ph.D. students will be based in Ghent/Kortrijk and will travel approximately 3-4 weeks per year to the other case study cities.
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
- Applications Deadline: Check back next year
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to study the Ph.D. program.
- Ph.D. 1 will perform a characterization of plastic waste, material flow analysis, and life cycle assessment. This Ph.D. will also link to consumer behavior related to source separation.
- Ph.D. 2 will perform separation and reprocessing tests on different lumps from source separation. This Ph.D. will also focus on the design of new products.
- Nationality: Scholarship is available for International students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Scholarship is available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You hold a Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Sciences, Industrial Sciences or Civil Engineering with a specialization in Chemistry, Material Sciences or Chemical Engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services in the domain of separation and recycling of polymers, the experience is an advantage.
- You have good knowledge of polymers chemistry and chemical engineering practices.
- You want to apply fundamental knowledge in a societal context.
- You are creative, open-minded and can work independently.
- You are a team player.
- You have good communication skills to explain a scientific topic to a layman.
- Good knowledge of English is a requirement, knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted to Prof. Dr. Ir. Steven De Meester before 15/01/2019. More information can be obtained via mail or phone. An official application should include a CV, motivation letter and overview of diplomas, certificates and study results.