The Veronesi Foundation is happy to announce up to 162 fellowships for doctors and researchers in the biomedical field to participate in Postdoctoral programme for the year 2020. These fellowships are available for foreign and Italian researchers.
The Foundation supports high profile research projects aimed at identifying new strategies for the prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of tumors, cardiovascular diseases and the nervous system, as well as projects that investigate the relationship between prevention and onset of these diseases.
User Review( votes)
The University of Pisa is an Italian public research university located in Pisa, Italy. It was founded in 1343 by an edict of Pope Clement VI. It is the 19th oldest extant university in the world and the 10th oldest in Italy. The University of Pisa is a public institution boasting twenty departments, with high level research centres in the sectors of agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, medicine and veterinary medicine. Furthermore the University has close relations with the Pisan Institutes of the National Board of Research, with many cultural institutions of national and international importance, and with industry, especially that of information technology, which went through a phase of rapid expansion in Pisa during the nineteen sixties and seventies.
Applications Deadline: September 5th, 2019
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for doctors and researchers in the biomedical field can participate in the Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2019.
- Study Subject: FUV aims at accelerating the transition toward Precision/Personalized Medicine and supports the highest quality research projects (whether fundamental, translational, or clinical) designed to identify novel approaches to the PREVENTION, EARLY DETECTION and DIAGNOSIS, and TREATMENT of human diseases in the fields of Oncology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Neuroscience and Life Style for Disease Prevention.
- The total amount of each 12-month fellowship grant is € 30,000 (before tax) or € 15,000 euro (before tax) for 6-month travel grants. The fellowship is only meant to pay the researcher’s salary and cannot be used to cover other expenses (lab reagents and supplies, etc.). The fellowship will be paid directly to the awarded candidate on her/his personal bank account.
- Part of the gross salary will be directed to tax coverage (IRPEF, Italian regional and municipal taxes). Please note that FUV fellowships do not provide any payment for retirement contributions, such as INPS due to the current fiscal law.
- The fellowship can be terminated at any time by giving timely notice (at least 15 days before interruption) to FUV by email at: borse-at-fondazioneveronesi.it
- The fellowship cannot be combined with any other form of bursary; similarly, the fellowship is not compatible with either temporary or permanent employment by any other Institution; the fellowship is compatible with forms of funding other than the above, provided that they do not exceed a total of € 10,000 (before tax) per annum.
- Fellowship guarantees to each researcher an insurance covering permanent disabilities resulting from a workplace-related accident or disease, fatal accidents and a partial reimbursement of medical expenses. Please note that all expenses covered by the DGL 81/2008 (Attuazione dell’articolo 1 della legge 3 agosto 2007, n. 123, in materia di tutela della salute e della sicurezza nei luoghi di lavoro) are under the responsability of the hosting institute. Please state clearly in the acceptance letter that the hosting institute agrees to this clause.
- Nationality: These fellowships are available for foreign and Italian students.
- Number of Awards:162 research scholarships for 12 months.
- Grants can be taken in Italian Universities
Eligible Countries: These fellowships are available for foreign and Italian students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
o Experimental research. Italian and foreign researchers holding a scientific degree in Medicine, Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Biostatistics, Computation Biology, Physics, Mathematics. Postgraduate qualification(i.e., specialization or PhD) in health-related fields is required. Selected candidates must carry out their research project in leading Italian institutions.
o Clinical research. Italian and foreign medical doctors. Candidates must hold a degree in Medicine and have clinical research experience and post-graduate qualification (i.e., specialization or PhD). Selected candidates must carry out their work in leading Italian Research-Hospitals and shall – based on their expertise – become members of specialized clinical teams, led by top-level referents. Please make sure that all qualifications held by foreign candidates are equivalent to their Italian counterparts, in order for them to be able to see patients in Italy. Candidates who do not fulfil the legal requirements to work as clinicians in Italy will be excluded from the evaluation procedure. Please be explicit in the Letter of Acceptance by the Hosting Institute that the candidate meets the legal criteria to work as a clinician.
The 12-month fellowships will only be awarded to researchers (Italian or foreigners) for research work at Italian institutions. There are no fellowships available for research work outside of Italy.
6-month fellowships (TRAVEL GRANTS).
Travel grants are limited to Italian citizens working in Italy at the time of application. Candidates should preferably hold a scientific degree such as Medicine, Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Physics or Mathematics. Post-graduate qualification (specialization or PhD) in a health-related field is mandatory.
For all the fellowships:
– Candidates must have officially obtained a PhD or specialization degree not later than 31st December 2018.
– All candidates (except women with children, see below) must be under the age of 43 on 1st January 2019. If awarded, the candidate will be asked to confirm in writing that he/she meets these requirements.
– Women with children are allowed to count one extra year per child. If awarded, the candidate will be asked to provide a “family certificate”.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: To start application submission, please enter your name, surname, email address, fiscal code and your proposed type of research (experimental or clinical). You will then be directed to the correct application form.
In the submission form, you will be asked to provide, in separate files, the following documents:
i) Candidate’s CV(max 4000 characters including spaces). Candidates who have had a period of justified absence from work (e. maternity leave), may state it in the CV. Date of PhD/Specialization degree must be clearly indicated
ii) List of scientific peer-reviewed publications (no character limits). It is mandatory to clearly indicate the IF of every single publication mentioned in the application. Please report the most recent IF and notthe one of the publication year. Only original papers and reviews will be evaluated for the publication record. Paper ‘in press’ are eligible only if an Editor ‘letter of acceptance’ is provided to borse-at-fondazioneveronesi.it. Papers accepted for publication after the closing of the call and during the process of evaluation will NOT be taken into account. Papers published on new journals with no IF are accepted, on condition that they are published on international and peer-reviewed journals. Posters/abstracts at conferences, meeting proceedings, and book chapters will not be considered for evaluation but can be included in the CV.
iii) A short abstract of the proposed project (max 2000 characters including spaces).
iv) A description of the proposed research project– background, experimental plan, and description of expected results and future applications to health – (max 9000 characters including spaces).
v) Bibliographyis NOT includedin the 9000 characters of the project description and must be inserted in a separate field of the form with no space limits.
vi) PI’s CV(max 2000 characters including spaces) including the field of investigation, up to five selected publication of the last ten years, and granted founding (optional). Requested CV is from the P.I. of the laboratory where the project will be carried on (i.e. for travel grants, the CV will refer to the P.I. of the foreign lab).
vii) Research on animals must conform to regulations protecting animals used for research purposes. Animal protocol(s) must be authorized by the Italian Ministry of Health (D.Lgs.26/2014). Ministry authorization must be valid for the period of the grant. A copy of the authorization must be provided during the application process (its presence will be taken into account by the evaluating committee in terms of project feasibility), or at latest upon grant acceptance (around mid December). Failure to provide it will result in fellowship loss. In case animal studies will be carried out in another lab, provide the authorization released to the collaborator together with a justification/collaboration letter.
viii) Research on humans If the research plan includes research in humans, the approval of the local Ethics Committee or Institutional Review Board (IRB) is mandatory. A copy of the approval documents must be provided during the application process (its presence will be taken into account by the evaluating committee in terms of project feasibility), or at latest upon grant acceptance (around mid December). Failure to provide it will result in fellowship loss. In case human samples are from other laboratory provide the authorization released to the collaborator together with a justification/collaboration letter.
Please note that during the application process you will be also asked to upload the following documentation:
- Two letters of recommendation not dated before 1stJanuary 2017 (mandatory). One letter can be written by the hosting P.I.
- A letter of acceptance by the hosting institute, signed by the legal representative of the institute (mandatory). For travel grants, the hosting institution is the foreign laboratory the candidate is applying for. This letter must include the declaration that, if the candidate is awarded with a FUV fellowship, he/she will be able to carry out his/her research in that institution. Please also include in the acceptance letter the name of the laboratory, the name of the P.I./Professor/Group leader who will supervise the candidate, the department and the Institution where the research will take place.
- A report on any previous projects undertaken with a grant from Fondazione Umberto Veronesi (if any) (max three pages)
- Preliminary results of the project (if available) (max two pages).
- All application materials must be written in English.
- All files must be in PDF or Word format.
- Each candidate is allowed to enter only one application. Candidates who enter more than one application will be excluded from the evaluation process.
- After sending the final submission of your application, it will not be possible under any circumstances to ask for amendments or corrections.