The Ghent University is offering one full-time post-doctoral fellowship in the fields of 15th-century Arabic sociolinguistics and/or historiography. Fellowship is available for International students.
The Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
User Review( votes)
- Applications Deadline: November 15, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to the postdoctoral research programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in the fields of 15th-century Arabic sociolinguistics and/or historiography.
- Scholarship Award: The university offers a full-time contract as a postdoctoral fellow (max. 36 months), starting on 1 January 2019, or as soon as possible after this date. The starting salary is minimum 2.300 euro net on a full-time basis.
- Nationality: Fellowship is available for International students.
- Number of Scholarships: One fellowship is available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Fellowship is available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Profile of the candidate
- The candidate should have a PhD in the fields of Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, Arabic Linguistics, or equivalent
- The candidate should have a promising track record in a field of research that is relevant for the MMS-II project, as demonstrated by relevant papers, publications, conference participation, PhD dissertation, reviews, committee comments,…
- The candidate should have a strong interest in the study of late medieval historiography and Arabic socio-linguistics, at the crossroads of socio-political history and cultural studies.
- The candidate should have experience with computational analysis and digital Islamic humanities more in general
- The candidate should be able to work independently and at the same time be a team player.
- The candidate has not worked, lived or studied in Belgium for more than 24 months in the last 36 months.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Please send us
- Your CV;
- A cover letter with a short motivation and a statement of interest;
- A research proposal (3 pages) presenting a relevant research project and a research plan (along with the lines of the research agenda defined in the job description above);
- The names and details of three referees (no reference letters !).
Applications can be submitted by email to mamluk-at-ugent.be only; the four components of the application (CV, letter, proposal, names of referees) should be combined in one PDF file.